Moving care homes

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
Sorry if I put this in the wrong section but my mum moving to a new care home tomorrow as the old one is closing for renovation work mum very hard to feed as is going to a palliative care home trained staff don't know how she will adjust to her new surroundings it's going to be weird to Start the day at her old home and move to her new home by the evening any advice about what happens when you change homes would be appreciated thanks

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
I've no advice, but someone here will give you good suggestions .
Your mother is going to be well cared for, maybe better than she was in the care home that has closed.
Hope this thought can a bit reassure you.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I don't think it will be good for you to worry about it just try and go with the flow of the day...there isn't another option so I would try just to reassure your mum that she is going to get a little more help for a while from some very special carers and hope the better care shines through quickly and your mum settles easily

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
First impressions I don't like new home for mum room is OK but no TV or radio no air mattress staff are very friendly gone from care UK to the barchester group now mum has to stay in bed until been assessed by GP and then we got to supply a chair for her to get up I know I've got to give it a chance but not very optimistic

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
TV and radio are things you usually have to supply yourself, and she will need to be assessed for an airflow mattress.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @jelba
to me the fact that the staff are friendly is the key issue you mention - it's the staff who provide the support for a resident and their family, so if they are friendly, that's a big positive

in dad's home the room was furnished with bed, normal washable mattress, table, comfy chair, dining chair, bedside table, chest of drawers, wardrobe, laundry basket, rubbish bin, table lamp, curtains, bedding ... that's it - any or all could have been swapped for dad's own furniture, but it wasn't as sturdy or easy to maintain - I have provided the TV (the caretaker put it on brackets on the wall) and radio/CDplayer and brought his recliner chair from home (now disposed of as too many 'accidents' and not waterproof) plus a few pictures that he now doesn't notice at all but they make the room more pleasant for me when I visit