Bed bath?

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
My mother has a bed bath every morning,at the moment I provide a shower gel,bath cream that gets added to a basin of warm water to wash my mum,do you think this is ok or should she be washed with a bar of soap instead,I noticed when putting cream on her vagina this morning(I apply the cream myself so I know it has been done) that it still had a urine smell from wearing a pad 24/7

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Nothing gets a person as clean as a good soaking such as you get from a bath or shower. Incontinence leaves textiles with a lingering odour although people on here will give you tips to deal with that. Our bodies always have some odour but again constant contact with pads will make it hard to smell clean. The type of soap won't matter very much and I only use Simple soap or gel with my husband although it is to prevent itch as he doesn't smell.

My Mum in her last very ill years only had strip washes and my sister and I were continually throwing out and replacing clothes, bedding and furnishings in an effort to get rid of the urine smell. It was an uphill struggle.

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
Nothing gets a person as clean as a good soaking such as you get from a bath or shower. Incontinence leaves textiles with a lingering odour although people on here will give you tips to deal with that. Our bodies always have some odour but again constant contact with pads will make it hard to smell clean. The type of soap won't matter very much and I only use Simple soap or gel with my husband although it is to prevent itch as he doesn't smell.

My Mum in her last very ill years only had strip washes and my sister and I were continually throwing out and replacing clothes, bedding and furnishings in an effort to get rid of the urine smell. It was an uphill struggle.
Thanks,mum is unable to have a bath,she is in a hospital bed downstairs due to her not being able to weight bare,I think I will get some Dove soap as that will be applied a bit thicker from a cloth than the bath wash from the warm water

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
@whitehead1976, I use Proshield Foam and Spray for Mum, your Mum's GP will be able to provide it on prescription.
It's a dedicated cleanser for Incontinence and is wonderful stuff. I also use Cavilon barrier cream after cleansing, also on prescription.

Try Napisan for laundry, a little touch of Zoflora leaves a lovely smell and disinfects too.

But yes, agree with Marionq, there's nothing like a good soak and I do wish I could do that for Mum!

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Can you ask the continence nurse, also ask pharmacist at large pharmacy, look in baby aisle in supermarket, you need something gentle, most soap tends to be drying.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Be very careful using soap in that region. It can cause problems for many older women and cause Interstitial cystitis. A better idea would be to buy baby wipes - sensitive option only as they contain no perfume to irritate the delicate tissues. Safe for a newborn and so safer for your mother too. Far more so than soap.

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
Be very careful using soap in that region. It can cause problems for many older women and cause Interstitial cystitis. A better idea would be to buy baby wipes - sensitive option only as they contain no perfume to irritate the delicate tissues. Safe for a newborn and so safer for your mother too. Far more so than soap.
I have baby wipes for my mums bottom from Lidl they are good quality and a very good price,the soap would just be for the pubic region where the pads sit against,with regards to cleaning the internals I have bought fem fresh wipes yesterday,but some people say it's best just to use a warm cloth and no soap as you want to keep the good bacteria in place in the vagina,so I think I will return the Femfresh wipes

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
@whitehead1976, I use Proshield Foam and Spray for Mum, your Mum's GP will be able to provide it on prescription.
It's a dedicated cleanser for Incontinence and is wonderful stuff. I also use Cavilon barrier cream after cleansing, also on prescription.

Try Napisan for laundry, a little touch of Zoflora leaves a lovely smell and disinfects too.

But yes, agree with Marionq, there's nothing like a good soak and I do wish I could do that for Mum!
We have cavillon I will look at the other stuff you mentioned thanks,I spoken to my mums dodctor on the phone this morning and he has prescribed proshield Foam and spray,thanks

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I have baby wipes for my mums bottom from Lidl they are good quality and a very good price,the soap would just be for the pubic region where the pads sit against,with regards to cleaning the internals I have bought fem fresh wipes yesterday,but some people say it's best just to use a warm cloth and no soap as you want to keep the good bacteria in place in the vagina,so I think I will return the Femfresh wipes
Definitely don’t use antiseptic or antibacterial wipes even slightly internally as you are right, the bacteria are important. The sensitive baby wipes are ok - but obviously nothing should be internally -and can even be helpful after a shower as even water can aggravate the vaginal tissue if it is atrophied, as it can be in older women. Even products prescribed by the GP can be too strong sometimes.
Fresh wipes are not recommended from internal cleansing. See
http://femfresh.co.uk/expert-advice

Last edited:

whitehead1976

Dec 22, 2016
Nottingham
Definitely don’t use antiseptic or antibacterial wipes even slightly internally as you are right, the bacteria are important. The sensitive baby wipes are ok - but obviously nothing should be internally -and can even be helpful after a shower as even water can aggravate the vaginal tissue if it is atrophied, as it can be in older women. Even products prescribed by the GP can be too strong sometimes.
Few fresh wipes are not recommended from internal cleansing. See
http://femfresh.co.uk/expert-advice
Thanks

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018

I put a scoop of vanish (the stuff in the bright pink tubs which I get when on special offer) and dettol laundry cleanser in with the conditioner, they seem to work well on stains and smells. I hadn’t thought about napisan which is probably a lot cheaper so I will investigate on my next visit to the supermarket, likewise zoflora. Thanks for that @Prudence9 .

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
I put a scoop of vanish (the stuff in the bright pink tubs which I get when on special offer) and dettol laundry cleanser in with the conditioner, they seem to work well on stains and smells. I hadn’t thought about napisan which is probably a lot cheaper so I will investigate on my next visit to the supermarket, likewise zoflora. Thanks for that @Prudence9 .

You're very welcome @Rolypoly, last time I bought some it was from As&a, I think about £2.50 - ish for an 800g box but you only need a couple of tablespoons for a full load in the machine.

gingerlou

Dec 13, 2016
you can buy body wipes from the chemist they use them in hospital that's how they cleaned me after op and was bedridden for awhile might be expensive hope things go well for you x

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Tena do a wash cream and no water is required. I quote what it says on the container.

‘This gentle alternative to soap and water cleanses, restores and protects even the most delicate skin. Ideal for frequent cleansing and incontinence care. No need to rinse with water. ‘