Back in hospital again, what can you do?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo again all you lovely people.
Just when my SAD lamp, fresh air and support was getting us back on an even keel C has had a big problem with her kidneys. At first I thought pain killers and rest would help it settle, but it is an infection with possible complications. Nothing to do with Dementia really, but she had blood tests booked for today and I foolishly thought if she could get by until then with paracetemol the surgery would answer her questions. No chance. The doctor has definitely diagnosed a UTI which may be affecting the kidneys more than usual, but heart rate is worrying.
Pain is bad enough, but with the confusion of dementia, well I'm rambling now as well. The good news is that C is in a quitter area in A & E with a door, so the noise and hubbub is not getting to her as badly as last couple of times. That's a positive to hold on to. Back in after omelette and chips, thank you for reading my jumbled thoughts.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Just when my SAD lamp, fresh air and support was getting us back on an even keel C has had a big problem with her kidneys. At first I thought pain killers and rest would help it settle, but it is an infection with possible complications. Nothing to do with Dementia really, but she had blood tests booked for today and I foolishly thought if she could get by until then with paracetemol the surgery would answer her questions. No chance. The doctor has definitely diagnosed a UTI which may be affecting the kidneys more than usual, but heart rate is worrying.
Pain is bad enough, but with the confusion of dementia, well I'm rambling now as well. The good news is that C is in a quitter area in A & E with a door, so the noise and hubbub is not getting to her as badly as last couple of times. That's a positive to hold on to. Back in after omelette and chips, thank you for reading my jumbled thoughts.

Oh no i’m sorry to hear this - I know the pain of A&E all too well with my mum’s last 2 episodes & my mum being on the trolley along with everyone else waiting.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
oh Rob, just what neither of you wanted or needed
I hope the area C is in continues to be quiet so both of you have a little peace, and that the medics are able to help
good to read that you aren't forgetting to have a meal, and add drinking plenty to that
sending positive vibes

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Oh, best of luck. I remember in 2016 being stuck for eight hours in A and E before Mum got on to a ward. It was such an ordeal.

I hope things take a turn for the better very soon.
Very best wishes xx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you all for your support. I only waited about three and half hours, because I know the longer I wait the more stressed I get and didn't want to pass that on to C. It's maybe the cowards way out, but I'll head back in once the omelette settles.
Sorry about your 8 hour ordeal Marcelle, those do take too much out of you.
Sorry I lost track of your ordeal Kikki, hope it has improved for you now.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Sorry to hear about C’s problems. I hope you are not in a&e for ages. I remember mum had a room in a&e which really helped her, not only for peace and quiet but also for privacy. Sending best wishes.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I hope she is comfortable and more settled when you go back in and pleased to hear that a quieter area has been used. From my experiences with dad many times in A and E and ward stays...the bustling noise and others shouting whilst can't be helped recreates a domino effect in anxiety for pwd. Wishing your wife soon well ...Glad you have eaten

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Oh, Rob....poo. Poor Christel and poor you. I wonder...might they give her extra strong ab’s rather than keep her in? Are you at Southmeads? I was there when my daughter lost her little one....but then again we were there a year later when she had her rainbow baby...I know it has a rather swish cafe, and glad that you have had a break and something to eat. Definitely a good idea to keep yourself calm, then you can help Christel.
Keep in touch and tell us what happens...don’t feel alone, we are with you in spirit.
With love x

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Thank you for taking time out of your rough sea voyage to support us Amethyst. C is in the other local hospital were they only have chain store coffee and M & S sandwiches.Thanks Love.dad and Rolypoly. Refreshed and ready for hopefully not a late night. :rolleyes::)

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Thank you all for your support. I only waited about three and half hours, because I know the longer I wait the more stressed I get and didn't want to pass that on to C. It's maybe the cowards way out, but I'll head back in once the omelette settles.
Sorry about your 8 hour ordeal Marcelle, those do take too much out of you.
Sorry I lost track of your ordeal Kikki, hope it has improved for you now.

You have to look after yourself too. My mum is still in hospital! Awaiting a care home assessment bed trial. Our first visit to A&E was so traumatic as we had to wait nearly 4 hours for an ambulance then 3 hrs in A&E. We were absolutely cream crackered as we had just done a day’s trading so had got up at 6am & gone through that stress only to plough into more stress on the way back home.
We knew we would have to wait a good while at the hospital so after the ambulance had finally picked up my mum, we told the crew we would be along within the hour as we had a hired van & it needed to go back in the morning & we had to take all the stock out of it. We got home from the hospital at 1am when they said they were admitting my mum to a ward.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Rob I’m so sorry to read your news. I do hope C gets the help she needs soon. I hope you’re coping too. This is never easy. Thinking of you both.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
@nae sporran
Oh what a shame.
I so hope you are out of a&e now.
Sending C wishes for a speedy recovery.
Good thinking on your part, getting something to eat, there can be such terrible long waits.
Take care of you, keep us all posted.
You know we’ll only worry.
XX

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Ah, sorry to hear about this, Rob. I hope C is comfortable by now, and that you can both get some rest.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
You have to look after yourself too. My mum is still in hospital! Awaiting a care home assessment bed trial. Our first visit to A&E was so traumatic as we had to wait nearly 4 hours for an ambulance then 3 hrs in A&E. We were absolutely cream crackered as we had just done a day’s trading so had got up at 6am & gone through that stress only to plough into more stress on the way back home.
We knew we would have to wait a good while at the hospital so after the ambulance had finally picked up my mum, we told the crew we would be along within the hour as we had a hired van & it needed to go back in the morning & we had to take all the stock out of it. We got home from the hospital at 1am when they said they were admitting my mum to a ward.

That was an awful day, so sorry @Kikki21. I hope your mum gets her care home bed soon, C caught a UTI while waiting for a care package 4 years ago, so you have the stress of making sure she is still being looked after in the hospital.

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Once they got her on codeine and a saline drip to flush out the kidneys C was ok. The ultrasound was clear. She did look a bit rough when I got back, but a cup of tea and a sandwich sees to have helped. At least she is home and happier than she was in the morning, so I can relax with London's finest ale.
The only way I survived was by staying as detached as possible and trying to focus on practicalities, not sure if that is wise or dangerous. Thank you all for your kind words and support.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan