Mother's eating problem

hollysmum

Sep 13, 2010
Hello! I've not posted for a while, but my sister and I are becoming more and more concerned for our parents. Our mother has Alzheimer's, and our father cares for her, with some assistance. She is 80 on Wednesday, he has recently turned 87. In 2016, Mother developed sepsis following a routine procedure in hospital, and ended up spending five months in hospital. It was, frankly, a miracle that she recovered. Anyway, since then, she seems to have lost all interest in food, even her favourite chocolate and cake, and, I think, would quite happily go all day without eating a morsel. When she does eat something, her limit is about three forkfuls, and she declares she is "full", and cannot be persuaded to eat more. She will say that she feels sick to put off any further cajoling. She has lost more than five stones since having sepsis, and has not regained an ounce of that, and indeed, has lost more. The GP has prescribed Fortisip drinks and Forticreme desserts to try and build her up a bit, and she'll have these on sufferance! My father frets constantly, of course - he is a really good cook, so creates all sorts of tempting things for her, but she rejects them after a few small mouthfuls. I have heard from others that this indifference to food and eating is not an uncommon symptom of Alzheimer's, and wondered if any of you lovely people could confirm this? Any ways of getting someone to eat a little more? Her carers are now getting worried, too, and I weighed her recently because my father was insistent that he would prove that she hadn't lost any weight, when one of them took him to one side and told him her concern. She had lost weight, lots of it, and this was borne out when a carer who had been on maternity leave returned to work and arrived for a care visit, and exclaimed out loud how thin Mother had become. It is as though her "I'm hungry" button has been turned off.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yes, I think "grazing" works better in these cases. Little bits available rather than a meal as we would normally eat.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hello @hollysmum and I'm sorry to hear about your mother. This must be very worrisome for all of you.

Yes, problems with eating and drinking are common and many of us have been there.

There is a lot of good information here and I suggest you have a read. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20029/daily_living/10/eating_and_drinking

Sometimes it's like detective work to figure out what's going on. You might have to go with trial and error.

In the meantime I'd start leaving out finger foods and snacks, around the house, all the time. Anything that would appeal and hang the nutrition for now, if calories are the main concern.

I wouldn't comment on how much or little she eats or try to cajole her, as that is clearly not working.

I'd make sure at meals, that there is someone seated directly across the table from her who is also eating.

You could try food that doesn't need a knife and fork, or is already cut up, in case using utensils is an issue.

You could try a plain white plate or bowl, or a red one. You could try bigger and smaller portions and dishes.

You get the idea!

My mother went through a couple of phases of not eating or difficulty with eating. As you say, her hunger switch had been somehow turned off and she never felt hungry, wanted to eat, or even to talk about food. At that time, the only way she would eat, was out at a restaurant, at a table, with someone across from her who was also eating. She wouldn't order food as "nothing sounded good" but as soon as it was served, she would be interested, and as soon as she started eating, she would continue, but only for as long as the person across the table was also eating. If I put my fork down to take a drink of water, she would stop eating and refuse all further offers of food for the rest of the meal. I got good at pretending to eat! All discussion was futile and only upset her.

We have also been through phases where she will only eat if there is a small amount of food on her plate. And another where she only eats half of whatever food is on the plate. And so on. If she is at all unwell (infection, cold, fatigue), she won't eat.

I know how stressful this is and hope you can figure something out. Best wishes.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
We are going through this now with my mum in hospital. Prior to having her seizures/mini strokes, her appetite had been good. In fact, it was too good as she always forgot when she had eaten!
I had to get the carers to log what she was eating as she was eating 2 ready meal dinners a day at one stage.

And in hospital, it is hard to get her to eat anything, she will eat up her breakfast & then lunch & dinner are a struggle. I have heard finger foods are good & grazing is good but obviously that isn’t the hospital regime. I’m not really sure what to give her to eat as she is saying that everything bar desserts is too salty so her taste buds seem really affected.

She is struggling to eat sweet stuff as well which she normally likes. I think we will have to get her on the Fortisips soon.

hollysmum

Sep 13, 2010
We are going through this now with my mum in hospital. Prior to having her seizures/mini strokes, her appetite had been good. In fact, it was too good as she always forgot when she had eaten!
I had to get the carers to log what she was eating as she was eating 2 ready meal dinners a day at one stage.

And in hospital, it is hard to get her to eat anything, she will eat up her breakfast & then lunch & dinner are a struggle. I have heard finger foods are good & grazing is good but obviously that isn’t the hospital regime. I’m not really sure what to give her to eat as she is saying that everything bar desserts is too salty so her taste buds seem really affected.

She is struggling to eat sweet stuff as well which she normally likes. I think we will have to get her on the Fortisips soon.

Hi, Kikki21 - you could be talking about my mother! Saltiness is the other thing that she complains of quite regularly, even when she is given something that she was happy to eat only days previously! She is a little better if she's in a restaurant environment, for some reason, as Amy, above, notes about her mum. I think that I will speak to my dad about trying finger food and offering her small, regular snacks during the day rather than trying to persuade her to eat a meal three times a day, which he clearly finds very stressful. She does need to have firmer foods cut up for her, as she has very weak, arthritic wrists and finds this difficult, so something she can just pick up easily and put in her mouth might make her more inclined to eat a bit more. I also like Amy's idea of using a small plate, or even a red plate - I have read about the latter somewhere before, and it intrigued me! If it works, though, that's fine with me!

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hi, Kikki21 - you could be talking about my mother! Saltiness is the other thing that she complains of quite regularly, even when she is given something that she was happy to eat only days previously! She is a little better if she's in a restaurant environment, for some reason, as Amy, above, notes about her mum. I think that I will speak to my dad about trying finger food and offering her small, regular snacks during the day rather than trying to persuade her to eat a meal three times a day, which he clearly finds very stressful. She does need to have firmer foods cut up for her, as she has very weak, arthritic wrists and finds this difficult, so something she can just pick up easily and put in her mouth might make her more inclined to eat a bit more. I also like Amy's idea of using a small plate, or even a red plate - I have read about the latter somewhere before, and it intrigued me! If it works, though, that's fine with me!

I think the red plate stimulates the appetite or st least that’s the science behind it as red is a powerful & stimulating colour.
We got some nice chocolate brownies for my mum yesterday, they weren’t huge, quite dainty. At first, she didn’t want one, then when we ate some chocolate, she got cross & wanted some after saying she didn’t like chocolate! So she had some chocolate & then ate half of the brownie.
I’m a bit flummoxed over what to bring you for a bit of extra calorie intake - egg custard seem to go down really well the other week!