thank god for tp this is not right

bel

Apr 26, 2006
coventry
i am going to have one of my thumbs done next thursday
no one helps they all make the right sounds but that is it hospital is approx 15 miles away i need transport
a problem at 7 -30 in the morning
bob is comming with me of corse and wants to be there for me great no one to look after him at home any way
phoned hospital -can my hubby stay with me until i am ready to come home --he has to go out of ward while i am being admitted then its up to nurse on ward if he can stay and wait for me
if i tell them he has dementia so can he stay cos i am worried about him wandering off i have to have a responsible adult to take me home
i am more worried about bob than the op
this is not right i dont shout enough --
love bel x

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
I am getting bloody mad, on your behalf

Why can you not have someone with you. Why can Bob not have a carer at this difficult time. Why have you not got transport ??

I want to spit feather's.
I am:(:mad:
Is there anyone who lives near Bel and could offer some idea of transport ???

Love Barb & Ron XX

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
Oh bel, I am not up to speed with your own personal circumstances so I am going to assume from your post that you have no friends or family that can help. If so get in touch with some local voluntary organisations, get help, even if it is just to accompany you both & keep an eye on Bob while you have the procedure done & take you both home. Thinking about you.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Bel

I admit I don't know anything about these sort of things (yet) but I was wondering whether you could telephone the hospital Social Worker and see what they can offer. I also wonder whether you would be willing to use the media to get help - perhaps ring your local radio station. I also admit that I haven't thought this through properly myself but am thinking of what I might do in your circumstances.

Love and best wishes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Bel this is dreadful

Have you asked your doctor if help can be arranged for you?

Love xx

BeadieJay

We have a local Independent Advice Centre who help with lifts to the doctors or hospital.

Do you have anything like that where you live, that you could phone and get help?

I hope you sort something out, I know how worrying this must be for you.

I've just been looking on Google to see if there are any centres in Coventry that could help you, and it doesn't seem that easy.

Personally, I think Sylvia's suggestion is the best one - I know that our GP has a list of volunteer drivers, I'm sure your GP's receptionist will be able to help you with this on Monday.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
i have to have a responsible adult to take me home
i am more worried about bob than the op
this is not right

You're too right it's not right, Bel. You need someone looking after you both! You cannot be expected to care for someone else when you need care yourself .... presumably the 'op' requires you to be sedated to some degree or other? If you need a 'responsible adult' to care for you until the sedation wears off - who is the 'reponsible person' supposed to care for Bob?

No doubt, GP practise or other organisations might help with transport but this is more important than just transport - it's about YOU being properly cared for post-hospital visit and Bob being properly cared for whilst you need some respite and TLC.

I wouldn't wait until Monday - ring the Duty Social Worker as soon as you can and explain the situation ..... you shouldn't have this stress on top of everything else ......

Sorry if that sounds bossy - but the situation is absurd ....

Much love, Karen, x

Annalisa

Jul 28, 2008
Clacton-on-Sea, Essex
Sorry - I also do not know about your personal situation and am quite new on here but have you tried Coventry Carers Support (link below):-

http://www.coventrycarers.org.uk/

I know it can be really hard to ask for help but if someone there can be of assistance then this may take some of the stress away from you.

Hope it goes ok for you on Thursday

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Bel, forgive me

because you'll probably say you've investigated these already, but what about

Crossroads, Age Concern, or someone from local Alzheimer's group (making it clear that this is a 1-off but urgent need)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Crossroads, Age Concern, or someone from local Alzheimer's group (making it clear that this is a 1-off but urgent need)

I'll add Princess Royal Trust. Our branch actually has someone based at trhe hospital to support carers. Give them all a ring, bel, I'm sure one of them will help.

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Bel

I've just looked on that link that Annalisa posted you and it looks very promising. It's run by the Princess Royal Trust that Hazel talks about and highly rates. I must admit I was most impressed and am going to check whether there's anything like that in my area cos it could prove very useful either for us at some time or for someone else.

Good luck

Love

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Helen, this is the site for PRT:

http://www.carers.org/

You'll be able to find out about your local branch.

Ours is great. I get subsidised aromatherapy (£5.50)there, and they run some brilliant courses.

I was actually going on a free stress-busting weekend for carers last year, but it was cancelled, not enough takers! They invited me on the next one, but by then John was too ill for me to go.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hazel..

Thanks for the link..

I've just checked it and there is a base not far away from us...

Whether I can use it or not is immaterial...

My concern is that carers are not initially given enough information about the help and support that IS available...

I'm seeing it all from the other side of the fence now...

And it's very thought provoking......

Love gigi xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Hazel

Thank you so much for that link. I looked it up straight away and have registered. There is a centre a short drive away from me. I am going to ring them on Monday to make an appointment to speak to someone.

This is all new to me. I had never heard of the Princess Royal Trust and had never really considered 'carers' before:eek: I dread to think what state we would be in now if a colleague of mine hadn't suggested I got in touch with the Alzheimers Soc:eek: The health professionals certainly didn't mention it and I suspect I'd be out there coping alone. However, I feel really supported by being part of Talking Point and cannot contemplate what life would have been like without it.

Thanks

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Bel - along with the other suggestions can I STRONGLY suggest that you ask your children for help. I know you don't like to worry them, but from what you've said in the past, I think they would be mortified if they thought you wouldn't ask them for help when you really, really need it. And this is a time when you really, really need it.

Love