Does MIL have diabetes?

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
My MIL has put on a significant amount of weight in the 18 months that she has been in a care home. She is now well over 100kg with a BMI somewhere in the mid-30s. The doctor has visited to take bloods, at the request of the care home.

When I discussed this with the manager, she said that they have observed MIL at mealtimes, and she certainly doesn't appear to be over-eating. However, I have seen that MIL is being given sweet snacks between meals. Most of the residents there seem to me to be underweight, so I guess this is not a common problem for the home.

Just out of curiosity - I hope this doesn't sound too gross - I taste-tested her urine today. (We bring her to our home for brief visit from time to time; whilst here she uses a commode.) It was incredibly sweet tasting! It made me wonder, has she got diabetes? Could the weight gain be a cause, or an effect? I have written to her GP to raise a concern about it. (Her GP won't discuss her situation with me, but he will take account of information passed on. I had to write an old-fashioned letter, as they won't accept e-mail.)

I wonder if anyone else has had experience of their LO developing diabetes whilst in a home - assuming that is what is happening? How is the condition managed in a care home environment? Any advice would be very welcome. Thank you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If she had uncontrolled diabetes she'd be losing weight not gaining it. Although it's true that insulin resistance can lead to weight gain. So I suppose she might be pre diabetic. I do think it's far more likely that she is simply taking in more calories than she expends, quit probably for the reason that you mention: care homes are often dealing with people who are losing weight so they tend to provide sweet snacks.

Onmyown

May 30, 2017
My mum is diabetic and the first signs were an incredible thirst. Mum was always overweight. Mum was in an NH for respite and her diabetes was watched carefully. In fact I am sure her badly controlled diabetes has led to her dementia. She never looked after her diet. She never really had a sweet tooth but loved her bread and marmalade still does. I've noticed now with her dementia she's got more of a sweet tooth than ever. My mother collapsed one day was rushed to hospital and that's when she was diagnosed with diabetes. I've heard this quite common before they even realise they have a problem.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Lots of people with dementia develop an incredibly sweet tooth.
When mum went into her home she was very undernourished and she put on weight so I had to buy her bigger clothes. She would eat her dinner and then forget that she had eaten it and demand more because she thought she had been left out! By the time she passed away though, she had lost all this extra weight and was back to skin and bones.

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Jennifer, Onmyown, Canary, thank you all for your replies. Perhaps it is simply a case of too many sweet things being ingested. It is true that MIL has a good appetite, and will eat everything that is offered to her when we bring her home, savoury and sweet. I do keep an eye on portion sizes! Beyond asking the care home to refrain from giving her snacks, which I've already done, there's nothing more I can do.

This is just one of many examples of how blimmin' frustrating this illness is. Too often there is nothing we can do! (Sigh!)

Anyway, thank you for sharing your experiences. If MIL gets a diagnosis, I'll be sure to let you know.

Thanks again, and take care. xx

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Well...the results of MIL's blood tests are in, and....they're all fine!

So I suppose that's good news. No diabetes, no thyroid issues. I guess this just leaves the sweet snacking as the only culprit for her weight gain. Except that the CH insist that she eats a healthy, balanced diet. I can't think how to prove this, one way or the other. Perhaps I should let it go...there are probably more pressing things to worry about.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I'm glad her results came back clear; that's a relief to know she doesn't have diabetes or a thyroid issue.

I'm the last person st the moment to tell you not to worry, but if she seems reasonably healthy and content and is eating something besides ice cream, maybe…try to worry a little bit less?

I appreciate that is easier said than done!