The Memory Box - a collection of short stories

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I have put the details of my book on the Book thread

but I am feeling very excited as its now available on Amazon as a paperback, large print and kindle

I recently managed to see my wonderful Gp 'Dr W' who left our surgery and I was heartbroken as she was so brilliant.She was so helpful and supportive and is now temporarily a locum Gp at our surgery that we changed to when we moved house.
Just before I got my book published I talked about my subcortical vascular dementia diagnosis. Although my symptoms remain the same as I haven't deteriorated she now wonders if my illness is stroke related. It made me feel as though I had been a bit of a fraud being on this thread. Irrespective of what the diagnosis might be I have lived under the cosh and stigma of dementia and have all the emotional baggage that goes with it and the insight of having memory loss, as well as caring for a friend with early onset Alzheimer's. I so want to use this experience to benefit others. I still have cognitive impairment and will continue to support the Alzheimers Society!
coverpb.jpg

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Ok...first I want to say many congratulations on your book. I will go look for it in a moment...but first I want to tell you what I thought when I read your post.
When you said ‘my illness might be stroke related’ my heart lifted and I thought, yay! She hasn’t got dementia! And then I felt terrible, because I knew immediately that I was guilty of prejudice. Your symptoms, your difficulties might all be just the same...but no stigma. And I am not at all pleased with myself. I didn’t realise that I was guilty of thinking this about someone suffering from dementia. This all happened in a split second. Of course, then came the thought, that if it is not dementia it will not be progressive, and that is a MASSIVE cause for celebration.
I am so very pleased for you ....and ashamed of myself.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I just bought your book! You must be so excited! I will leave a review once I have read it x

Thanks for buying the book! I do hope you enjoy it.

I went to talk to my GP, as I didn't want to put on the book something even though I have lived with the diagnosis, that people might question. I am relieved though that it's now not thought to be progressive. But I have found my voice and a cause to fight for which I won't let go and as I said I still have the symptoms and as long as I don't have any mini-strokes or strokes hopefully I will continue to be stable. (I thought I might have had a mini-stroke on my birthday but I ignored it and got a real telling off by my GP)

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
And here is another telling off from me. Don’t mess with your health. Grrrr.
Said with love and peace of course.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
My entry on the book thread has been deleted
I'm not sure how to put a link to Amazon on here but if you go to books and type in the title and my name it will take you there as would dementia short stories!