Advice on changing my hours to support my mother more...

Mumtojake

Nov 14, 2016
Hi,

My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in December 2016. In the last few months, her memory has got worse, she has had her first moment of not knowing where she is (I was with her and it was bloody scary for both of us) and she has had her debit card swallowed up by the ATM twice because she can't remember her PIN no.. This is just some of the changes I have noticed.

She has a set routine; she goes to a Day Centre on a Monday, she sees an old friend on Tuesday, goes to a Social Forum on a Wednesday and a Cognitive Class on a Thursday. Friday is the only day (except for a carer in the morning and evening) where she is on her own and goes to our local town centre for a bit of shopping and sometimes goes to the Bank for the ATM. The visit to the town centre has been her routine for many years now.

Due to my concerns in recent months, I approached my manager to allow me to change my hours so that I can be with her on a Friday afternoon when she goes to the town. I work for the NHS and all staff work set shifts that don't change unless there are new staff. I work part-time and the money is poor but I still earn above the amount to claim Carer's Allowance. My employer denied me and said the only way my request could be honoured is if I reduce my hours. Even with reduced hours I wouldn't be entitled to Carer's Allowance. She wasn't prepared to change my hours as "no one wants to work Friday afternoons". She wasn't even prepared to give me alternate Fridays off. I can't afford to reduce my hours and I don't want to change my job because firstly I really like my job and secondly I don't want the added hassle at the moment of looking for another job, interviews and learning a new system. My immediate family and my mum takes up enough of my time and stress levels to be honest.

I don't have any other family or friends that could help me out and to be quite honest I want to do this for her. My sister lives in the US. I really don't want to change her routine as I think she will forget anyway and still go to the town on a Friday because that's what she has been doing for the last 20+ years.

I'm after some suggestions on what I could do.

Many thanks

Caz

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Call Adult Social Services, ask for a needs assessment for your Mum and a carers assessment for yourself. Explain the problem and ask for a sitter/befriender that could accompany her into town every Friday for a set amount of hours.

I would also advise to get LPA for her ASAP so you can monitor her finances.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I know it is not what you want, but would it be possible to swap her Tuesdays and Fridays? Your manager might give you Tuesday afternoon off?

dora

Aug 1, 2007
England
Hi Caz

A couple of suggestions
If you want to pursue changing your hours, look at your Trust's policy on flexible working for carers. You could also speak to your union rep (if you have one).

If you think a "sitter" - who could also go out with your mum - would be a good idea, you could try Crossroads or Age UK, or speak to the Alzheimer's helpline.

Have you got Attendance Allowance for her? You can apply on her behalf without her knowing, if necessary.

Hope this helps
Dora

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar