Losing speech

Ottoman68

Dec 25, 2015
London
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's between Sept 2014 and Feb 2015. He'd had symptoms of dementia for the previous 4 years.

In recent months he has become urinary incontinent (dealt with by Tena and medication) and in the past six days bowel as well. I'm hoping this latter has to do with the richer food over the Xmas period.

More upsetting than either of these is that he has lost a lot of language in the past few weeks, viz
* can't understand simple words
* speaks less and less and then substitutes made-up words so I cannot work out what he wants/needs
* substitutes one word for another eg says bathroom when he means bedroom.

He is 76 and we have been together for 41 years. Anyone gone through similar experiences?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Yes dad was exactly like that as his illness progressed into another phase and it seemed to happen over many weeks rather than months after a gradual start of the things you mention happening sometimes. Equally whilst the double incontinence may be due to rich Xmas food it could be that decline into the next phase is also happening there as well. Dad became urinary incontinent first then intermittent double until total doubly incontinent.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
If it's a sudden change with a big decline, then I'd suggest that there could be something other than the dementia at work and get him medically checked out. Anything from a stroke/TIA to an infection, medication problem, blood pressure issues and more, could be going on.

Otherwise, well, yes dementia can and does affect speech and comprehension as the dementia progresses, I'm sorry to say. Perhaps something here may be helpful. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20064/symptoms/90/communicating_and_language

Frank68

Jan 28, 2013
South Coast
Hi Ottoman, Sorry to hear about the speech loss. My wife Sue began to lose her her speech very early in the Alzheimer's Disease journey in 2008, and the last couple of years has mostly only said "Yes" or occasionally "no". Along with that loss has gone comprehension, ability to make choices etc etc. So, as I understand it, this is sadly a stage of the journey that will come at different points for each individual.
I have written before on here about the improvements that have occurred in Sue's condition since she entered residential care in July, namely in her speech and comprehension. The consensus seems to be that in a Care Home the residents are more challenged to express themselves rather than giving up on the huge effort of communicating because they know that their spouse generally understands what they need anyway! Whether or no that is the case, Sue has regained a small amount of speech and I and the family are now often told "I love you" - and occasional phrases and even some read words have re-appeared. All this is quite a joy as you might imagine.
I'm not sure if there is anything to do about it, but keep telling him you love him and using the words over and over - and maybe they will stick a bit longer and be returned... We all need to hear those words anyway.
Sad for you both.
Frank