New Alzheimer's drug 'halts decline'

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Hi Lesley,
Thank you for the information you gave. Although it is of no use to lots of the people at this present time, it may give hope for the future.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Keep well.

Best wishes
Christine

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Not such a good memory - I read the news report and realised that the last time I had read the words "Methylthioninium chloride" was in relation to blue urine and medical student pranks, and when you talk about unusual side effects well....

What I found particularly interesting about this particular drug is that it really isn't a new invention, it's a new application of something that's been around for many years. Talk about serendipity.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I found that there was a lot of coverage on ITV about it , as I catch part of it in the afternoon & then in the evening 10'0clock news.

As they even interview someone about it also Terry Pratchett .

(Les now that Jeniffer mention it, I do remember someone posting about blue urine. congratulation on being pregnant)

Does that mean that every one that take statin's have blue urine?

Or is it something they add in it, if your taking it for a dementia?

also why do they call the drug rember, then I read people on hear calling it statin's ?

Les

Jun 23, 2004
Hampshire
Hello Margarita
This drug, the one on the news today - the TAU-RX trial, is nothing to do with statins. It's a completely separate drug. I think there's just info on the possible value of statins at the same time, which is confusing!
Lesleyx
(and thanks Margarita and Christine for the congratulations!)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
This drug, the one on the news today - the TAU-RX trial, is nothing to do with statins.

I meant the One from yesterday .

Never new they had another one out to day . God yes it is getting confusing .

So your father took the TAU-RX trial?

Les

Jun 23, 2004
Hampshire
Now I'm very confused. As far as I knew the news yesterday and today were both about the Tau-Rx trial. I've obviously missed something!!!
The Tau-Rx trial is the drug Rember - same thing - and yes my dad was on that trial, in aberdeen.
What was the other drug?
Was it statins?
x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Yes

Just read this

TauRx’s first-in-class Tau Aggregation Inhibitor rember™ , that is also the drug I heard about yesterday

http://www.taurx.com,

So now am left with where does the word statins come from

Last edited:

Les

Jun 23, 2004
Hampshire
Yup, that's the one, that's the drug my dad took, the one they are reporting such impressive results.
I think someone must have mentioned statins by accident and we muddled up news stories!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
OIC yes that what must of happen .

So am wondering now if you don't mind me asking.

when your father dementia progressed was your father offered any of the AZ other drugs that are available as in also the last stages of AZ medication ?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
No, it's a separate story.

They have discovered that in some people statins inhibit the formation of plaques in the brain. Makes sense, as statins are used to reduce cholesterol, and cholesterol may be responsible for the formation of plaques. But it doesn't seem to work for everyone.

As I understand it Rember targets tau protein, which forms the tangles, rather than the plaques.

Very confusing that the press are running the two stories simultaneously.

Les

Jun 23, 2004
Hampshire
Margarita - no dad wasn't offered any other drugs. But I think there were issues of clashes with many of the other drugs he takes anyway. Aside from Alzheimers dad also has...

Epilepsy
Asthma
Arrythmia

.. all of which are treated by powerful drugs, and which clash with things like Aricept...
x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
.. all of which are treated by powerful drugs, and which clash with things like Aricept..

OIC.

Very confusing that the press are running the two stories simultaneously.

Just that I can't find, or did not hear anything on that drug on the UK news or Internet. Can only find something about it from 02

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
What struck me was a snippet on the six o'clock news:

"Exciting news of a new drug to halt Alzheimer's will be announced in an hour's time." (Not verbatim, just quoting from memory)

The sort of snippet that generally presages news of a political resignation -- or a new baby for Madonna.

OK, it's not going to halt AD, but the fact that it was important enough give advance notice is exciting, I believe.

Hi Hazel was this the ITV Scottish News?

My cousin's son is a producer and does his best for Alzheimers/Dementia, when he can.

After all his great auntie and uncle are sufferers

Alfjess

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Surely there is one crucial factor here ...

Daily Mail Article said:
It could be available to patients within four years
although, in the wake of the NHS ban on the £2.50-a-day drug Aricept, there are concerns over whether it would be funded on the Health Service.

For most of us, if we can't get hold of it, it is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Sorry for downbeat opinion :(

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lesley

So good to hear 'first hand' info from you about Rember. Hope your Dad continues to do well on it.
Would add that if it works best in the mild to moderate stages, then we will need a considerable improvement in earlier diagnosis of dementias. Too many people slip through the net at the moment due to inaccuracies of diagnostics or they simply don't know to get things checked because they think symptoms are due to 'other' causes. Not trying to be a glass half empty person,:eek: but do hope that the rising awareness of dementia means early diagnosis will become commonplace so fewer people ( and their families)suffer this d**n disease.