Update on Lionel

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Connie, sorry to hear about your godmother, I hope she's reasonably comfortable now.

Lionel looks so much better than on your last photograph. He looks as if he has put on some weight?

You will never realise just how loved you are, or perhaps you do, deep inside.

Of course he knows, Connie. How could he not?:)

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Bless you Sylvia and Hazel for your kind words.

No], Sylvia, his skin is very, very dry, and so sheds occasionally.
Reminds me of a snake (I kid you not). Lots of appications of creams and lovely new skin forms underneath, albeit a little red.
(I advised them against putting Lionel out in the sunshine after Bruce's episode with Jan)

He does get wheeled out into his courtyard, but usually stays just inside his room with the double doors open. I am more than happy with this.

Hazel, my dear godmother is out of hospital now.
She is wheelchair bound (has been for some years now) but is determined to go back to her own home.

I can see the time coming when she will have to , maybe, go into care.

One option would be for her to go where Lionel is. On the residential side of course. Everyone agrees it is such a good place. The care is exceptional.

She has been like a mum to me. Funnily enough she loved both my husband and Lionel. Had a soft spot for both of them.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Another panic over.............

The phone rang at 10.am today. The care home. "Don't want to worry you but we have just called an ambulance out for Lionel."
"Do you want to meet us at the hospital?"

He had another siezure and was not breathing properly.

I am grateful for good channels of communication

I explained that I would go straight away, but would prefer that he was not taken to hospital.

Thank goodness they listened and the paramedics agreed with my views too. They had checked him over, and had gone by the time I reached him. (It is a 45 minute drive).

Once again it is being written up on his care plan, although I can understand there first concern is always to try to stabalise and assist him. They are not a nursing home.

However I would much rather he be treated with the loving care they have always shown to Lionel, than have him moved by stretcher, ambulance and then left in A&E.

I know how my lovely man wants and needs to be treated. Pain relief is one thing, but unnecessary intervention........and for what?

Nothing is now going to give Lionel any better quality of life.
He needs his life enriched, not his dying prolonged.

Crisis over anyway. We have been here many times before and no doubt will travel this road again before the final end.

I know he could not be better cared for anywhere. So having sat with him for 5.1/2 hours

I have, come home once again, knowing tomorrow is another day.
(I do hope it will be calmer for him)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Connie:

Just catching up on the news regarding Lionel. I have to say 'I hope tomorrow is a calmer one for you too'.

Cannot say anything useful but want you to know I care and hope all is well now.

Love Jan

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Connie,

I can't begin to imagine how today must have felt for you..

Like Jan..I have no words..but I do care...

I understand and am here..and hoping that Lionel..and you are now ok.

Love gigi xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
However I would much rather he be treated with the loving care they have always shown to Lionel, than have him moved by stretcher, ambulance and then left in A&E.

I know how my lovely man wants and needs to be treated. Pain relief is one thing, but unnecessary intervention........and for what?

Nothing is now going to give Lionel any better quality of life.
He needs his life enriched, not his dying prolonged.

Connie, I couldn't agree with you more. I've said exactly the same, I don't want John taken to hospital. He's been messed around enough, I want him to have comfort and the security of his familiar surroundings and carers.

But I know how scary those phone calls are, and I hope you're going to have a peaceful evening and that tomorrow will be better.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Connie

I can feel how torn you are.

What a good home for contacting you before Lionel was taken to hospital. They have never let you down have they.

Please be careful when you drive under stress. The thought of what you might find when you arrived at the home must have been on your mind throughout the journey.

I hope Lionel has not been left with discomfort following his ordeal and that you will be able to relax this evening.

Have a little drink to settle your nerves.;)

Love xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Connie

as usual I agree absolutely with the loving and caring way you handle this nightmare.

Whenever I receive a call from Jan's home I fall to pieces momentarily - then it generally turns out to be something pretty minor.

Please take care and give our love to Lionel, saving a whole heap for you too.

andrear

Feb 13, 2008
Yorkshire
HI Connie
I have only just read your thread, so sorry but I am not very computer literate and it takes me so long to get around the site.
I have read it all with tears streaming down my face. You are one very lovely lady Connie. Your Lionel is a very lucky man. I just wish that I could feel as good about my dad as you do about your lovely Lionel, but it is so different with parents and their siblings.
My heart goes out to you Connie and I hope that tomorrow brings a bit of sunshine your way. I will now keep reading your post.
Love AndreaX

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Friends, thank you for your concerns and good wishes.

Lionel is calm and comfortable tonight and I feel that is how things will continue.

Dear Andrear, whilst we all tread a very similar path, our attitudes will be shaped according to our relationships.
I just wish that I could feel as good about my dad as you do about your lovely Lionel

I read the posts on TP about wonderful daughters and sons in a caring role and wonder "could I be as dedicated" in their shoes

At least here we do not have to quantify things.

We are all carers............and that is what we all do.

I always feel priviliged to be amongst such caring company

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Lionel is calm and comfortable tonight and I feel that is how things will continue.

Please to read that xx

Attachments

• beenawhile.jpg
    beenawhile.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 404

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionel is calm - too calm

I know I sound as if I am never satisfied.:eek:

Visited today. Lionel was in his chair, wheeled into the main lounge for a change of scene. He looked wonderful. So calm, clean, nicely shaved,with his skin all moisturised but........

he was slumped completly to one side, with his tongue hanging out and his shoulder was soaking wet where he had dribbled and drooled.
(My diagnosis; he had another little TIA) It happens.

Stayed slumped all day, no way could we get him into an upright position. Have to say that he ate all his dinner even though it was hard to feed him in that position.

Whilst changing him on the bed later in the day I was assisting the very carer who had dressed him in the morning.
"I managed to give Lionel a lovely close shave today, and creamed his skin. He was so quiet and calm"

Just wish I could see a bit of the old Lionel, all cross and snarly during personal care. He has not been himself since the last seizure.

I know I sound as if I am never satisfied.:eek:

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Connie,

You've said it all there...

Lionel is calm and peaceful...which you want...

But you want him back fighting...which you also want....

I know.

Sending you the hugs you've often sent to me in the past..:)

But I can't do them so you have a smilie instead...it means the same...

Thinking about you both..

Love gigi xx

Deexox

Jul 28, 2008
Hi :)

Hi Connie

I am new here and just read your thread.
Sending hugs to you.

Dee xoxoxox

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Connie

This part of the journey is so very hard - speaking as another younger dementia carer though I'm sure it is not at all unique to the younger ones.

Take some solace in the fact that, even though he is not the old Lionel, he will surely know that you are there for him, and that you are still his Connie.

xx

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Dear Connie,

I know where you are coming from. Calm and comfortable is wonderful but you miss the fiesty Lionel. I'm seeing dad getting calmer and sleepier again and many say it is the progression of the illness (again) - I want the old dad back who laughs and in the next minute is upset in tears.

Nothing wrong with wanting a little more Connie, makes us human.
thinking of you
Craig
x

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Connie

I know what you mean. It seems almost strange to want the feisty person back, but the calmness feels as though the strength is going and they can no longer fight back.

In fact we used to worry more about Mum when she wasn't grumpy. A carer had started when Mum was oversoming illness and was used to Mum being calm and serene, then all of a sudden Mum snarled back one day and got cross.

The young carer was dismayed. What had she done? What was wrong with Mum? She could not understand why the Home Deupty was delighted.

And before this illness My Mum would not have said boo to a goose!

Losing this fight is yet another stage and you become accustomed to the calm that follows...over time, like anything else, til the ill-tempered outburst becomes a thing of our memory.

(((((((((hugs))))))))) to you and Lionel

Love

Mameeskye

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa