New carer

swood

Sep 10, 2017
My husband was diagnosed with Alzeimers in July, my main issue is that I am so tired all the time as he cannot remember where the toilet is or how to use it.So I have to take him up to 10 to 13 a day and night .I've tried signs , a commode etc without much success .any ideas / experience anyone. Sleep interruption is making me depressed.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, and welcome to TP. Yes, I had just the same problem as you...we still do, to a certain extent. The best advice I had was to put the landing light and bathroom light on. Then he can see the way, and that prompts the memory of why he is out of bed...and what to do. It doesn’t always work, I half wake up, listen to him walking....listen for the ‘splash’...listen for him to come back to bed. Last night, I had to get up with him.
Other people have had success using a red toilet seat...the all white can be confusing.
Unfortunately, many nights when exhaustion has made me sleep deeply, I am woken to the sound of liquid on carpet...or toilet seat.
Is there anyone available who can give you a night off occasionally? I’m just clawing my way out of the mire of over tiredness, and depression, so I do know exactly how you feel ...and I do sympathise. We are just in the process of employing someone to do a couple of nights a week, so I can sleep regularly. I know you won’t want to hear that. I’m half excited and relieved at the thought of the help, and half devastated that we need it.
So, first steps....have you applied for either attendance allowance (if your husband is over 65) or disability living allowance if he is younger. I got the high rate because of the night disturbances. Then I applied for carers allowance. This will give you some money to get some help in.
Have you contacted your local Age UK or Altzheimer’s Society to find out what help is available in your area? Maybe your best first step would be to ring the help line on this site...then they can give you local numbers.
You will also find this forum a source of information and support, from people in your own position.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
What is he drinking? can you ensure he gets the recommended liquids earlier in the day - so he doesn't need to go as often at night. Do you drink de-caff tea and coffee. Our general hospital routinely only serves de-caff because caffeine irritates the bladder. I have a night light that comes on with movement which I hope helps light the way for father. These are quite cheap now. You could have more than one along skirting boards. Don't know anything is worth trying.

swood

Sep 10, 2017
Thankyou , I will try more lights, most of the other things I'm trying but will look into the carers allowance.

JanP

Nov 22, 2017
@swood
Maybe a bottle for him to wee in through the the night? I only suggest this as noticed a milk carton with my Dads wee in, in the bathroom yesterday. He's obviously worked out for himself that getting to the toilet in the middle of the night is a big effort as he's he feeling his balance is beginning to go a bit. Another thought - have you had his prostrate checked? My Dad was diagnosed with enlarged prostate a couple of years ago, the main symptom was the frequency he was urinating. He's now on Tamsulosin for this, which has definitely given him more control.