I'm new to this!

millypee

Jul 28, 2008
essex
:(Hi, I'm new here! My mum of 82 has just been diagnosed with vascular dementia and early alzheimers. My sister and I are trying to find as much help as we can so that she can stay in her own home and stay 'independent' for as long as possible.
My dad died of lung cancer 12 years ago and mum was coping brilliantly until a few years ago, when she started repeating things, asking the same questions over and over again,etc.
I realised about 4 months ago she it wasn't just age related memory loss, so took her along to the GP. The rest is history as they say....
She's just started on Aricept, the lowest dose,and we have to see the consultant again at the end of August.
Having read the other posts from other forum members, I realise she can get a lot worse than she is at the moment. I agree with the member who says she'd rather have a physical disease than a brain related one. People seem to empathise so much more with the former.

Annalisa

Jul 28, 2008
Clacton-on-Sea, Essex
Hi Milly - it's amazing how so many stories on here are similar. My grandma seems to be in a similar situation to your mum and has also deteriorated since the loss of my grandfather in 2003. She also still lives independently although we are not really sure how long that will be possible. I have visited the memory clinic with her and the doctor recommended a drug but unfortunately I did not write down what ot was and I am now waiting for the hospital to contact the gp so that we can start sorting it out.

I note that you are also in Essex and new on here this month - that makes two of us!

It seems very friendly and helpful :)

bert

Jul 9, 2008
birmingham
hi there millypee and welcome to TP. im from birmingham but my dads brother lives in basildon! i agree with what you said about physical injuries being easier for people to relate to. im sure you'll get lots of support online

all the best
:)
bert

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Milly

Welcome from me too.

I look after my Mum (89) who is 4 or 5 years into Alzheimer's (given that you never really know when it starts, but with hindsight ... )

My Dad also died some years ago from cancer, but Mum had made herself an active & independent life on her own.
She was a very capable & practical person, although it becomes hard to remember that now.

I 'second' the proposal for the AS factsheets; they are very good & I printed off several to send to my brother (abroad) to help him understand what's happening.
Few of us know much about dementia until it lands on our own doorsteps.

Best wishes

millypee

Jul 28, 2008
essex
Apologies for gatecrashing the Essex party... but I went to Essex Uni... does that count? ;)

Welcome Millypee. A good place to start is the factsheets on the main AS website.

Try clicking on this link http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200137

Thanks for that, I've just read the factsheets that I feel are applicable to me and mum. This whole website is so full of information, some of it's a bit scary tho, when you think what other people are going through. At least mum is still lovely and seems happy most of the time, ans I can still hold a decent conversation with her. Hope this lasts a long time!
:eek: