My aunt managed to reduce me to tears

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
She called earlier today while she was visiting my mother to complain bitterly that the staff "always" have my mother facing a mobile aquarium. She thinks Mum should be facing the window & got into a bit of a barney with the charge nurse. So that's why she phoned me - to complain & get me to tell the staff to have Mum facing a window. I tried to point out that I find Mum in several different places but she got upset with that. Her truth is the only truth.

She then put Mum on the phone, which hasn't happened in nearly two years. Hearing my mother's voice, even though she could barely say my name (and was prompted by my aunt) and also saying her usual "da da da da da" brought me to my emotional knees. Thank God my aunt wasn't aware of this - why would she be? She's completely oblivious to other people and their emotions. She ended up putting Mum on the phone 3 times & telling me Mum knew it was me, as Mum had tears in her eyes. Well, I had tears everywhere. Thank God I've learned to cry silently in the office.

This hasn't happened to me in a long time. I think I've emotionally compartmentalized things. I usually have my emotions sorted out when I visit Mum as I'm prepared. I have been caught off guard once or twice - most recently when Rudi got my mother to whistle. But generally I talk to Mum, make a few jokes, act like she understands me, because who knows what she understands. I simply wasn't ready today to hear her on the phone. I've been feeling a little weepy off & on all day now. I don't need this at work.

I can't say anything to my aunt because I do realize that she means well. You know about the way to hell being paved? Hers must be paved with platinum & diamonds.

I just had to get this off my chest. I can't tell either my sister or my husband as they get upset & angry at my aunt on my behalf.

I will be better later on.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Joanne

Sorry you were reduced to tears today. Thank goodness you've got Talking Point to let off steam.

Just wanted to say I, for one, am listening and hope you feel better after a cuddle with the cats.

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Dear Joanne:
Just to say I am also listening to you. I am sorry your day has been so emotional. I hope you feel a little better now.

Its hard to comment on your aunt :eek::eek:
Glad you were able to let off steam here.

Take care now = Love Jan

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Joanne

I hope you've managed to regain a little emotional peace since your post. It's all very well understanding "why" your aunt pulls these tricks, but it when it comes to emotional upsets, there is no such thing as logic. Well that's been my experience anyway.

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Joanne

I'm sorry you've had such an upsetting day.

Bad enough for your aunt to ring you, at work to boot, to tell you what you were doing wrong. Another example of the outsider who always knows best!:eek:

But then to put your mum on the phone!:(

I'm sure she meant well, (what ws that about the road to hell?), but she should know better than to give you emotional stress while you're at work.

Much sympathy,

Love,

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Joanne,

This hasn't happened to me in a long time. I think I've emotionally compartmentalized things.

Hits twice as hard when you think you have your emotions under control. Sending you a special hug. If we are quick we can all join in:).

hugs.gif

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Joanne,

So sorry you had to go through this. You are so loving and caring to your Mother and most importantly, you know her best.

Do hope you are feeling better now. I will keep my thoughts to myself about your Aunt.

Love from
Christine

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Joanne,

Sending you love and hugs over the ether..

I know you were caught off guard..but you can't be "on guard" all of the time...

Maybe these emotions needed to flow anyway?

None of us really know what we're storing up inside...until something releases it..

Hope you feel better soon...

Love gigi xx

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Joanne, sending you a BIGvirtual hug!
We can compartmentalise emotions to the N'th degree, but something always gets under the wire when we least expect it.:(

Take care and hope you are feeling much calmer now (thank goodness for TP, where would we be without it!);)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I just had to get this off my chest. I can't tell either my sister or my husband as they get upset & angry at my aunt on my behalf.

I don't blame them , I would be also if I was your sister . why does she not do it to your other sister

I can't say anything to my aunt because I do realize that she means well.

Your considering her feeling , but she not considering your feeling , why ? can you not open up to her emotional telling her how it render you emotional powerless , when put in a situation like that with your mother on the phone . Its cruel of her , she may not even realize the effect it has on you unless you tell her, So then she know & won't put your mother on the phone like that again

I do feel for you , sorry if I sound harsh .

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Her truth is the only truth.

Therein, the key. And once we accept that ... (not that I do .....:rolleyes:) .....

What is it about siblings suddenly 'knowing it all' and criticising to the Nth degree? Next of kin rivalry was one idea mooted to me just this last week .......

I cannot begin to disclose what having to deal with my aunt does to me ..... and if her path is paved with platinum & diamonds I trust they will be knee deep in soggy concrete mix which will swell over her wellies :p (as a minimum!!!! :D)

Big hugs, Joanne .... nil desperandum and all that, Karen, x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Joanne

The problem with those of us who feel they are in control is well meaning people who knock the wind out of our sails.

Your aunt may have meant well but obviously has a much lower level of involvement and understanding, otherwise she would have known what a silly and unwise thing it was to put your mother on the phone to you.

You are a better person than I am to have kept your tears to yourself. I know you were at work, but it would not have done your aunt any harm to realize how much she upset you.

I hope when you are able to do so in a composed and controlled manner, you will make sure your aunt never puts you through that level of upset again.

Families. !!

Love xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Thank God for my TP friends!

Thank you so much all of you! I'm back to my normal self, emotions firmly beat into submission and (more or less) in control. The snivelling did me a lot of good. Yes, the gallows humour is back and that's the way (uh huh uh huh) I like it!

I do like being in control of my negative emotions. I don't mind getting upset & crying so much as I really do not like getting angry and losing my temper. I do find that people around me find it extremely disconcerting when I cry. It's not something I do in front of people very often.

I did have a cuddle with the cats & that's the best. My cats don't think I need to lose weight, either. That's how lovely they are.

why does she not do it to your other sister

Because my sister lives over 300 miles away and she's not nearly so patient with my aunt as I am (she freely admits this :)). My sister would have no qualms whatsoever in telling her to reproduce with herself, only in a far more direct & basic way.:D

How to explain my aunt? She used to be my favourite aunt when I was a kid. But her marriage went very bad, her husband was emotionally abusive and dumped her and she has no children. She's never been very clever, to put it very diplomatically. Of my mother's three sisters, she's "dumb & crazy". "Smart and sane" died 5 years ago and "smart & crazy" doesn't talk to me much, thank God for small mercies!

I remember the person she used to be and give her so much leeway. I don't like to hurt people's feelings unnecessarily and to get through to her I would have to run roughshod like you wouldn't believe. I don't want to do that. But I don't want to tell her she upset me, because her attempts to make amends would probably drive me mad. And quite honestly, that would involve getting closer to her, which I do not want.

She does mean well, it's all good intentions. Usually, I can handle it as we have call display at home & I can not answer if I choose. I've done that quite a few times, by the way:). I can usually take her in stride. Now that I know she can put my mother on the phone, I'll be ready in the future.

As my sister has said, my mother has given my aunt a reason for living. I do feel for her - no spouse, no children, not many friends (there are reasons for that :D).

Again, thanks so much for the support and rallying around.

Love,

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
Now that's a good thought Sylvia. I wonder if she's got a nice big window to put it's basket in front of.:D:D - oops! smack my wrist - I really must stop being catty!!

Glad you're feeling a bit better now Joanne. Rellies - don't you just love (to hate) them - sometimes. Luckily mine are few and far between - although there are over 1000 of them on my family tree - but most of them are long gone so I guess they don't count:D

Chris

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Streaming

Dear Joanne, your way with words has made me laugh so much I have had to go and do my face all over again.:D
Love Deborah xx

Deexox

Jul 28, 2008
Hugs

I'm sorry she reduced you to tears sending many virtual hugs :)

Dee xoxoxox