Cleanliness

Maisieb

Nov 6, 2017
I've had a large shower fitted thinking that my hubby would shower more. It was a waste of money, he won't shower weekly let alone everyday. His underwear is not changed even though I leave it on the radiators for him. Also I was told by one dementia society I could get my council tax reduced, but because I won't claim carerers allowance I can't get it . How rediculous is that.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I've had a large shower fitted thinking that my hubby would shower more. It was a waste of money, he won't shower weekly let alone everyday. His underwear is not changed even though I leave it on the radiators for him. Also I was told by one dementia society I could get my council tax reduced, but because I won't claim carerers allowance I can't get it . How rediculous is that.
Hi, I don’t get Carers allowance because I’m a pensioner, but because my husband has dementia I get the reduction, I went to the offices got the form the doctor signed it and I took it back and my council tax was reduced by 25%, so don’t really understand what you’ve been told, can you try age uk for advice? Hope this helps and you are successful

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hi, I don’t get Carers allowance because I’m a pensioner, but because my husband has dementia I get the reduction, I went to the offices got the form the doctor signed it and I took it back and my council tax was reduced by 25%, so don’t really understand what you’ve been told, can you try age uk for advice? Hope this helps and you are successful
Of course you can claim council tax reduction if he has dementia. Remove the underwear each night and put it in the laundry so he has no choice but to wear clean undies. If he won’t shower I hope you refuse to share his bed.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
@Maisieb it is not you that qualifies for the discount it is your husband because of his diagnosis.

Give your local council a call, or call in yourself if that’s possible and ask for the forms to complete. They will need proof and date of diagnosis. If I remember right you should get a refund back to the date of diagnosis.

Maisieb

Nov 6, 2017
Thank you
I got the form filled it in they said I'm not entitled to it. That was last year, I rung again a few months ago and that's what I was told. I will ring age UK. Thank you

Maisieb

Nov 6, 2017
@Maisieb it is not you that qualifies for the discount it is your husband because of his diagnosis.

Give your local council a call, or call in yourself if that’s possible and ask for the forms to complete. They will need proof and date of diagnosis. If I remember right you should get a refund back to the date of diagnosis.[

Maisieb

Nov 6, 2017
I filled the form in last year and was turned down, I rung a few months ago and was turned down

pingpong**

Oct 30, 2017
I
Hi, I applied for both my mom and my dad to receive attendance allowance. My mom was reluctant at first but I told her why not, they have both worked all their lives and never had any help. I then applied to the council for a reduction in council tax for my dad who has alzheimer's and they received 25% discount. I have now asked if it can be backdated, as my dads diagnosis was about 9 years ago. They have said there is a form on line so I'm going to fill it in and see what happens.

Maisieb

Nov 6, 2017
Of course you can claim council tax reduction if he has dementia. Remove the underwear each night and put it in the laundry so he has no choice but to wear clean undies. If he won’t shower I hope you refuse to share his bed.
I
Hi, I applied for both my mom and my dad to receive attendance allowance. My mom was reluctant at first but I told her why not, they have both worked all their lives and never had any help. I then applied to the council for a reduction in council tax for my dad who has alzheimer's and they received 25% discount. I have now asked if it can be backdated, as my dads diagnosis was about 9 years ago. They have said there is a form on line so I'm going to fill it in and see what happens.
Ok thank you

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Maisieb
your Council may well be correct in that YOU cannot claim a CT discount as you are your husband's spouse, living in the same property - that's how it is in my Local Authority (LA)

HOWEVER - you can apply on behalf of your husband for his CT to be disregarded so that you are charged as a single person ie 25% reduction - you need to search on your LA's website (or call them) for the form for a reduction due to Mental Impairment - your husband may need to be in receipt of Attendance Allowance as well as have a diagnosis for him to be eligible
if this is already in place, there's no more discount you can receive

I'm not sure why you won't claim Carer's Allowance - if you are eligible, please do apply as it will give you some income
https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance
if your husband isn't yet in receipt of Attendance Allowance, do apply for that - AgeUK can help with filling in the forms, they do this a lot - it's not means tested, so if your husband qualifies, he will receive it
https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

I'm afraid, as marionq says, it's time to be a bit more active about dealing with your husband's dressing - as soon as he's taken off that day's clothes to get into his pjs, spirit them away (with dad I had a laundry basket in his bedroom and clothes went straight in there, so out of his sight) - I did used to lay his clean clothes out for him, in the order he needed to put them on, and that worked for a while - then I had to hand him each item, and help him with the tricky bits eg buttons - having a home care visit so that a carer then took over the helping was a real boon

dad became very uncertain of the shower - it turned out 2 things were going on -
1) he had forgotten the procedure ie the order he had to do things in, so I just happened to be around when he went for a pee in the morning and helped him out with the shower
2) he did not like getting the water anywhere near his face, so washing his hair under the shower was not going to happen, and the worry meant that he was reluctant to get in the shower - so I helped him by holding the shower head and having a towel ready just in case any water splashed upwards
he also became unsteady, so I had grab rails put in and he was a lot happier then - eventually a shower seat was needed - I also realised I'd made a bit of a mistake having the bathroom all white, as he then couldn't easily distinguish what was where - the handrails had colour on them, so they stood out for him
at times he didn't want to shower at all, but as his bathroom was lovely and warm, he was happy to have a good wash at the sink, using flannels - it's what he had done as a kid, so seemed quite natural to him - sometimes I took a bowl into his bedroom as he felt happier with carpet under his feet and being able to sit on the bed or a chair - as long as he had a decent wash a couple of times a week, I was happy, as that kept him pretty clean overall - this idea of showering every day is pretty new, we can get away with much less
I did realise that his feet were being missed, so gave him a footbath once a week, while he sat watching TV; he enjoyed that - I took him to a chiropodist to get his nails cut

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Are you not claiming attendance allowance for your husband. Other benefits also count as qualifying for council tax reduction using the severe mental impairment rule.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
In simple terms: your husband is eligible for the Severe Mental Impairment (SMI) disregard if he's been diagnosed with dementia and is in receipt of Attendance Allowance. Your council should send you a simple form that has to be filled in by his GP to confirm his diagnosis. He will then be classed as not living at the property, making you the sole occupant and triggering the 25% single person discount.

With regards to his cleanliness, not washing is fairly common. You need to get proactive, take his clothes, wash them and give him clean clothes in the morning.

Dalton

Dec 16, 2017
In simple terms: your husband is eligible for the Severe Mental Impairment (SMI) disregard if he's been diagnosed with dementia and is in receipt of Attendance Allowance. Your council should send you a simple form that has to be filled in by his GP to confirm his diagnosis. He will then be classed as not living at the property, making you the sole occupant and triggering the 25% single person discount.

With regards to his cleanliness, not washing is fairly common. You need to get proactive, take his clothes, wash them and give him clean clothes in the morning.
My brother would not go in the shower he had to be bribed he and his partner have just moved inyo a different house just to findout he loves a bath which they didn't have in there last house so at the moment no problem getting clean. I am the only one he will let cut his hair that goes back to me cutting his hair when he was about 15.
Hope this helps XX