My husband has been recently been diagnosed

ndeossa

Nov 27, 2017
Crawley
Hello

My name is Marion and my husband has recently been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's at the age of 55. I has been a huge shock to us both as we were not expecting that diagnosis. It is very hard to be positive as I cannot see anything positive from this diagnosis. I am trying very hard to support Tom.

Hi Marion,
I am very sorry to hear this. He is so young!!! It is wonderful that you have joined this very helpful forum. You may also want to go to a support group for carers.

*edited to include first post*

Last edited by a moderator:

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo Marion.
Sorry to read of your husband's diagnosis, he's only 5 years older than I am so I know what a shock that was. My partner was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia about 5 years ago ab we have managed to have a few good times together, so it's possible to live well enough despite dementia.
You have certainly found the right forum to get advice and support from others with a better idea than I have. The link at the top right of the page will give some very helpful information. It would definitely be worth finding out about memory cafes and carers groups. The Alzheimers Society will point you to the former while www.carers.org will help with the latter.
Good luck.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello and welcome to Talking Point.
I'm sure at the moment, you are both still reeling. It's a bitter thing at any age, but particularly so young.

Some things to remember though, are that really, things are exactly the same today as they were before you heard the diagnosis. It's just that now you know. But your husband is just the same as he was - nothing is going to change immediately.
Another thing - forewarned is forearmed. Now is the time to get the practicalities done - Power of Attorney, Wills, etc.

Above all, at this stage, I would say carry on with your lives. Don't let Alzheimer's disease rob you of any more than is necessary.

Maz 50

Dec 13, 2017
Ellesmere Port
Hello

My name is Marion and my husband has recently been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's at the age of 55. I has been a huge shock to us both as we were not expecting that diagnosis. It is very hard to be positive as I cannot see anything positive from this diagnosis. I am trying very hard to support Tom.

*Mod note, due to a forum issue this first post has ended up in the middle of the thread, sorry about that.*

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello Maz 50. It is a shame that you have had to find your way to TP in these circumstances. However, I bid you welcome and can reassure you that you will find the forum a friendly and informative place.
My wife was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's in May. It is indeed a shock and you may find that you will both have a grief like response set in as you see the changes to your future plans. However, time helps this phase to pass and you may find the diagnosis useful as it sets in motion the finding of services and medications that will help alleviate some of the problems you will have. My personal experience has been that some things have improved and, so far, life has only changed a little for us, albeit that I have had to take on almost 100% of the daily tasks in life.

emmags

Nov 25, 2017
Hampshire
I don't have any advice but have a small understanding of what you are going through right now as having it with my dad however my thoughts are with you xx

Maz 50

Dec 13, 2017
Ellesmere Port
Hello Maz 50. It is a shame that you have had to find your way to TP in these circumstances. However, I bid you welcome and can reassure you that you will find the forum a friendly and informative place.
My wife was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's in May. It is indeed a shock and you may find that you will both have a grief like response set in as you see the changes to your future plans. However, time helps this phase to pass and you may find the diagnosis useful as it sets in motion the finding of services and medications that will help alleviate some of the problems you will have. My personal experience has been that some things have improved and, so far, life has only changed a little for us, albTeit that I have had to take on almost 100% of the daily tasks in life.

Thank you for your support. My husband has been put on medication hopefully it will slow down things. We have decided to have a great Christmas and New Year and then start sorting out things such as power of attorney. I think it was such a shock to us and we need to come to terms with the diagnosis. I feel I am taking on more at home and need to make sure I am more organised and prepare in advance for my husband to cope.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thank you for your support. My husband has been put on medication hopefully it will slow down things. We have decided to have a great Christmas and New Year and then start sorting out things such as power of attorney. I think it was such a shock to us and we need to come to terms with the diagnosis. I feel I am taking on more at home and need to make sure I am more organised and prepare in advance for my husband to cope.
Keep positive. Prior to her diagnosis my wife and I had spent a couple of winters in Cyprus and intended to keep that going for many years. When we got the diagnosis we felt the world had ended and our travels would stop. However, my wife got good medication, I got carers training, we put all our affairs in order and we brought forward planned house alterations so that my wife could get used to them and enjoy them before she lost capacity. We are presently in Cyprus and having a better time than last year! It is a battle to keep my OH positive but my optimism won't be dented.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi Marion,

It is quite a curveball to be thrown at such a young age. My husband was diagnosed aged 58 so I understand a lot of what you are both going through as a younger couple - as do many others in here.

I think you are wise to be thinking about the practicalities of POA, Wills etc after Christmas and New Year are out of the way. Those were the first things we did too - and the best decision we made.

After that we relaxed and enjoyed life, doing the things we could, while we could. Things did not change overnight, we fitted in outings and holidays and my husband got involved in a variety of activities including community projects and volunteering. Life and happiness did not stop with the diagnosis.

I also found TP an absolute godsend in being able to plan ahead too - and just seek advice and share experiences.

We are just about to enter our sixth year since diagnosis. There have been ups and downs along the way but we are together and celebrated our 35th anniversary a couple of weeks ago :)

Maz 50

Dec 13, 2017
Ellesmere Port
Hi Marion,

It is quite a curveball to be thrown at such a young age. My husband was diagnosed aged 58 so I understand a lot of what you are both going through as a younger couple - as do many others in here.

I think you are wise to be thinking about the practicalities of POA, Wills etc after Christmas and New Year are out of the way. Those were the first things we did too - and the best decision we made.

After that we relaxed and enjoyed life, doing the things we could, while we could. Things did not change overnight, we fitted in outings and holidays and my husband got involved in a variety of activities including community projects and volunteering. Life and happiness did not stop with the diagnosis.

I also found TP an absolute godsend in being able to plan ahead too - and just seek advice and share experiences.

We are just about to enter our sixth year since diagnosis. There have been ups and downs along the way but we are together and celebrated our 35th anniversary a couple of weeks ago :)
Hi Marion,

Thank you for your support. When we got a diagnosis we thought our life had fallen apart but now we are trying to enjoy life as much as we can. Activities of daily living have changed and we have developed coping strategies to cope.

We do worry how long things will take to deteriorate but this forum is making us more positive.

I love my husband so much but I feel like I am a career now not his partner and there is not much affection which is very hard