Not Yet Diagnosed

Gladys S

Dec 4, 2017
hi there. "sorry for the long message". I have been to the doctors and referred to the memory clinic who have organised a ct scan. I have had about 10 different appointments for different bodies of the community regarding my well being. (I only went to the docs to say I am concerned about my memory. I am 63 years old and live with my husband who is a great support. The ct scan is next week then I have to wait for a further appointment to get the results. I have been keeping a diary of the "daft" pardon the expression, things I have been doing. I have had to stop driving after telling my doctor I was pulling in behind cars which were parked thinking they were at traffic lights further down the road. my husband was anxious by this time so I went to the optitions who have now referred me to the eye clinic because I have more double vision. so the doctor has said not to drive. that appointment is not till February 2018. another thing I did yesterday and similar a while ago was I was lighting the log fire with a fire lighter and could not work out how to hold it, I knew what to do to light it. ..........there are more things that have happened !!!.........I do have other medial problems, fibromyalgia and atrial fibrillation which i have 50% chance of a stroke) and osteoarthritis and depression. I know they are looking to check if my meds are causing my symptoms but I know deep down the things I have been doing are new, the last 12 months when I have had tablets and medical symptoms for a number of years now. I know I am not reacting and doing things as I have done for years...............................I am worried they will find some kind of dementia, (I have read so much about the different ones). if they don't then its a blessing that I am clear of it and am more aware of this awful illness people, friends and families have to contend with. I know i will then have to work with the doctors to change my meds to help what is going on with me. if I am I feel sure they will tell me I am in early stages and that it is due to my illnesses and medication. ..............................I just wanted to share this with someone who understands how I may be feeling before the diagnosis. thank you for reading.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Gladys Smith

I'm so sorry to read your post and full of admiration for the way you are addressing the possibility of dementia. Let's hope it doesn't`t come to that and you have something treatable.

Whatever your diagnosis, please keep in contact with Talking Point. There will be a lot of support and understanding for your condition. I remember the time before my husband was diagnosed and indeed it was the most stressful time we had ever had.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Gladys
just wanted to say hello and welcome too
whatever is happening with you, I'm glad you found TP to be able to write it all out and get it off your chest - it helps
so keep posting
and write as much as you want, folks here will read it through

Gladys S

Dec 4, 2017
are there any newly diagnosed people on here themselves. I go for my ct scan tomorrow after being with the memory clinic. could I ask a few questions please
would they send me for a ct scan if they didn't suspect me having some form of dementia. yes, I know you hear "they just want to rule out".
how long was it before you had the results of the test, I have to go back to the memory clinic but don't have the appointment yet.
was you told you did not have dementia, if so, what was the outcome.?
you could probably tell I am getting worried now.
" thank goodness for spell check coz words and spelling are no too good just now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Gladys S

There are many people here on TP who have dementia. You will find them on the dementia sub forums or hopefully they will find you.

Good luck for today. I hope the scan does not show dementia but if it does, Talking Point is here for you.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thinking of you

Fingers crossed that today goes as well as it can for you and you get answers and support you may need, whatever the outcome of the scan

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
are there any newly diagnosed people on here themselves. I go for my ct scan tomorrow after being with the memory clinic. could I ask a few questions please
would they send me for a ct scan if they didn't suspect me having some form of dementia. yes, I know you hear "they just want to rule out".
how long was it before you had the results of the test, I have to go back to the memory clinic but don't have the appointment yet.
" thank goodness for spell check coz words and spelling are no too good just now.

Hi Gladys
I had a CT scan to see if I had dementia and also to check for stroke-related issues
I was given a diagnosis of vascular dementia but to be honest I haven't deteriorated over the last five years so they are now beginning to wonder if it is stroke related. I still have the same symptoms and battles but I do all that I can to keep my brain active. I know it feels like a large black hole is in front of you but whatever the diagnosis it's important to remember its a journey, not a final destination staring you in the face. I hope this will help you feel free to private message me if you want to. I have just written a book of short stories based on the theme of memory. Had I not been ill I am sure I would have been unlikely to have written it
I live by the motto
'Don't curse the darkness - light a candle.'

Attachments

• don't curse the darkness.jpg
    don't curse the darkness.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 502

Gladys S

Dec 4, 2017
Hi Gladys
I had a CT scan to see if I had dementia and also to check for stroke-related issues
I was given a diagnosis of vascular dementia but to be honest I haven't deteriorated over the last five years so they are now beginning to wonder if it is stroke related. I still have the same symptoms and battles but I do all that I can to keep my brain active. I know it feels like a large black hole is in front of you but whatever the diagnosis it's important to remember its a journey, not a final destination staring you in the face. I hope this will help you feel free to private message me if you want to. I have just written a book of short stories based on the theme of memory. Had I not been ill I am sure I would have been unlikely to have written it
I live by the motto
'Don't curse the darkness - light a candle.'
thank you for your kind words and offer of your contact details. I am now just concentrating on Christmas and will see what the new year brings.

Gladys S

Dec 4, 2017
Hi there. I go to see the mental health team on Friday. I have had my ct scan before Christmas. can anyone tell me if I might get the results from these people please or do you think they are just checking how my depression is?

Gladys S

Dec 4, 2017
I have an update now on my diagnosis. the mental health team told me today that all was normal on my ct scan and they will look at other possibilities causing my symptoms.
many thanks for your kind words and hope all goes well with others who may have been in the same boat as myself.

Brookeden

Apr 6, 2014
Hi,
I had the ct scan before being told im going to be referred to the memory clinic. Im waiting to find out when I should go to the memory clinic. How come you went there first were you sent before any scans at all? Was it a blood test result that meant dementia may be suspected for you? As for your question on how long the ct results took I had my scan on a friday and on the monday morning following there was a message to see the dr re results. Oh I think she had already booked me in for a followmupmafterwards. Anyway I dont know if I have early onset dementia I think thats what was being implied but I was definitely told there is some frontal lobe atrophy in my brain. So whether it makes a difference what is found I dont know how soon you will hear. If you havent heard after a week call them. I think they said results are normally a week that is what the radiographer said. Mine had come back when I went to the gp. Best wishes for you.