Abuse and New Home

GIBBO1304

Nov 26, 2017
Thame
My father has been physcially abused at a care home and we as a family are looking to remove him and move him closer to where we live (our home town). The care worker has been dismissed and the Police were invovled after a full investigation. The safe guarding team are now making an investigation but what if any rights do we have to force this change. The trouble we also have is the new potentail care home received a report made out by the social worker and have said they cannot take my Dad, this report was sent before my Dad was abused. The report contained numerous discepencies which have now been amended by me and we are awaiting the revised edition to be re-submitted. There are so many questions and a major one for the family is should someone have actually assessed my Dad face to face or would a paper report be enough to refuse even the possibility of taking him.

Mrnkar

Oct 28, 2017
That is digusting. It should say somewhere in the contract with the home, what the procedure is. Is your father self funding or receiving CHC or LA funding as if so, I would contact the relevant authorities to let them know the situation.
Regarding placements, homes usually meet face to face but if your dad is moving to a different area, that may not have been possible. Most homes have a 28 day trial period, so maybe they could take him and see for themselves. I hope you find a quick and easy solution.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Your Poor Dad.

Have you heard of Eileen Chubb? This is her site.

http://www.compassionincare.com/

She and some former colleagues blew the whistle on shocking abuse in the "care" home where they worked.
I am sure she will help you if she can.

Let us know how you get on. Xx

GIBBO1304

Nov 26, 2017
Thame
Thank You everyone so far for replies, loads for me to check out tomorrow. I have a meeting on Friday with the safeguarding unit officer and the care home manager so certainly will be discussing some answers here with them both. Dad is locally funded by the LA so need to chase them tomorrow on an update about the report and revisions being made. My Dad is currently out of our county(emergency respite placement) and it is a strain on my mother (mid seventies) who has to drive to see him hence our need to try and get him closer. Thanks again everyone truly grateful for the advice and knowing there is help.

GIBBO1304

Nov 26, 2017
Thame
Cannot believe what is happening to my Dad and the current situation, after spending time with the safeguarding unit Friday who basically ticked the boxes to say this wont happen again at the current home I today recieve an email from our social worker saying the local care home again have said they cannot take my Dad. No one has seen him or even discussed his condition with us, Ihave put a call into the care home to discuss the reasons why as the social worker stated in her email "they refused to say why they cant accomadate your Dad".................cant beleive this is right or legal.....surley we have a right to know the reasons?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I really don't think you have any right to know why a private home (I'm assuming) would refuse your father. I don't blame you for being suspicious, but realistically you wouldn't want him in such a home, so there seems little point in expending your energy on it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Care homes are a business and does and business have to justify why they don't want to business with anyone other than if it is alleged that the reason is discrimination as set out in law?
The home has a bed to fill so they must have their reasons for turning down his custom.
Recently one of the senior nurses and a carer were going to assess 2 possible new residents in the local hospital, as they went the unit manager told them "no one too challenging, we have residents X,Y & Z so we don't want anyone who might conflict with them".
The home has to consider the existing residents best interest before they take someone and how that person will integrate into the existing setup, if they feel that someone isn't right for them then you pretty much have to take their word for that as you don't know all the existing residents and that's a value judgement only they can make.
Unless you can say that the reason is based on creed/colour/sex/orientation or whatever then a private business declining to take your business is up to them. That may sound a bit harsh but the first consideration has to be the existing residents and if they can see that anything about him may create an issue then they have to refuse. If you ask them politely they may be prepared to discuss it but you don't have any right to know why as such, suffice to say that no company turns down business without a good reason.
K

Onmyown

May 30, 2017
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad and the abuse he suffered. It's a disgrace and I think these people should go to jail. It's my biggest concern about a home for mum. Luckily the one near us has an excellent reputation. I'm so sorry you are now having other problems with another home and hope that you get sorted soon. Elderly abuse is not acceptable and more needs to be done to prevent this disgusting behaviour.

GIBBO1304

Nov 26, 2017
Thame
Thanks everyone for advice and support. Some very useful insights into the minefield of care.
I think the reply on the lines of a home deciding who and who not to take was pretty spot on and it seems there is an element of picking and choosing who they want and my Dad may upset the Apple cart. As I write this I am in the care home awaiting a meeting with social care and the mental health team along with the manager of the current home who is concerned about my Dads behaviour upsetting the current residents. It's sad that at times you feel the illness is not treated as exactly that, after all they cannot help what they do or say can they. Thanks again for words of support everyone.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I am so sorry that you find yourself in this situation.

Whilst I completely understand why you want your father out of the current home, I can't see much mileage from trying to persuade one to take him if they don't want to. Even if they did change their minds, would you be completely happy that they were doing everything they could to look after him properly? What are the chances of them asking you to move him again as they say things haven't worked out?

When we were looking for somewhere for my Mum, one of the only 2 possibilities said, without having seen her, that the level of care she needed was above what they felt able to give. Although that was our preferred option, there was nothing we could do about that and had to go with the other home. Which, as it happened, was the perfect place for Mum and she was happy for the 8-9 months until she died there.

I really hope you are able to find the perfect place for your dad soon.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Hmm. So would the reason for not taking someone be that they 'wandered' or exhibited some particular character trait that related to their disability? Does that amount to disability discrimination. How would it sound if a home decided that because all there old ladies were white that a black old lady wouldn't fit in? Obviously anyone wants a family member to go to somewhere that welcomes them rather than a place that is forced to accept them. Even the difficult people need to be looked after too.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
The thing is though @GIBBO1304 , if, say, the shoe were on the other foot - if your dad was already a settled resident in a Home, how would you feel about the Home taking in a new resident who's behaviour they were convinced would upset your dad? They do have to consider their current residents. And of course, the other thing to consider is whether, if they did take your dad, they wouldn't decide after a couple of months that they couldn't manage him after all, and give him notice. Tbh, I think you would be better looking for somewhere else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar