head down

mollie1

Nov 20, 2007
Newcastle
Can anyone help we have been particularly distressed this week as mam has been hanging her head down all the time dispite lots of coaxing she will not lift it up and has had a couple of falls she is in a care home and the staff are monitoring and we have had the gp check her but no answers yet has anyone had this problem? or can offer any advice it would be much appreciated thanks Mollie1

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello Mollie, warm welcome to TP.

Several of our members have written about this in the past.
Head down yet not really seeing the floor or where they are walking resulting in falls.

In some people it can be a change of medication, or alteration of dosage. It can be due to natural progression of the disease.
I see it sometimes with the residents of my partners care home.

However something else that can trigger is a urinary infection (Uti). These can result in all sorts of different behaviour. Always worth checking out.

Hope I have not confused you. Please come back and let us know how mum gets on.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Mollie

Is your mum on any medication?

Certain medications,after a time, an have this effect, especially anti-psychotic meds.

I am not saying this is the cause and I am no medic, but I was told when mum was in hospital,that the usual side effects of anti-psychotic meds was stooping from the neck (unfortunately my mum stooped from the waist)

When admitted to the care home Haliperidol was stopped and her posture became more normal, but she was still very agitated and amisupiride (sp) was prescibed, she now lists slightly to one side, but not as bad as when taking Haleperidol

Ask about her medication.

Take care
Alfjess

candymostdandy@

May 12, 2006
west sussex
My mum would bend forward to more or lesser degree depending on what sort of day she was having, infact it made it difficult dressing, and after toileting, with me constantly saying "straighten up mum"..

in mums case it was certainly part of the progression, withit getting worse leading up to her no longer being weightbearing..

mollie1

Nov 20, 2007
Newcastle
Thanks for your help and information it is so usefull to hear from others at TP we are trying to exclude uti and will have a medication review and see from there however it may well be progression of this heartbraking illness xx