Council and Care Home issues

BrummieGirl

Dec 8, 2017
Hi everyone,
My 91-year-old mother has had mixed (Alzheimer's and vascular) for some years now but has seriously deteriorated in the last couple of years. We got her into a Care Home in August but having lots of problems communicating with the Council and Care Home about fees now the 12-week property disregard is up and Mom's house has been sold. Long story short, we had been paying a top-up directly to the Home at their insistence while the council contributed to the costs as the initial quote of £500 a week went up to £610 as soon as we accepted the room. Now the Care Home has not only put up the fees again but invoiced Mom for £2500 to be paid in advance (4 week's fees) whilst the Council are also asking for £500 a week. Care Home keep changing their story about fees and the Council don't respond to emails or phone calls asking for clarification. Social worker is nowhere to be seen. We're obviously new to all this. Can anyone share any advice or experiences about this kind of situation? It's quite different from what the literature describes as normal. We're at our wits' end and are also worried because we can foresee that Mom's capital will run out within 2 years .

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Hi Brummiegirl,

I'm confused as you appear to be paying two sets of fees for your mum. One to the Council and one to the care home. It sounds as though you are confused as well.

Don't worry about the fees once the money comes to an end. However, do check with the care home what the scenario would be then. When I researched care homes for mother that was one of the first questions I asked. What happens when her money runs out? Most said that she would then go onto the Local Council rate, which is a lot lower as they bulk buy. One care provider stated that they did not take Council funded residents. So that was a no.d

Do chase the council and the care home for an explanation of your mum's fees. It is a nonsense when they are not prepared to explain.

Should you feel you want more explanation or guidance please contact Alzheimer's society. The link is below. Put in your postcode and the local contact number will come up. They will have a good insight into how things work locally.

Alzheimer's Society
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/

BrummieGirl

Dec 8, 2017
Hi there,
Thanks for replying. I did ask and care home said when the money runs out we will have to pay them top-ups again or find another home that was within the council's personal budget. I am trying to talk to someone from Alzheimers but will have to phone after work. Hopefully they will help me sort out the confusion. I'm pretty sure both the home and the council are at fault.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @BrummieGirl
welcome to TP
what a mess - looks as though Local Authority and care home are both confused
maybe have a chat with one of the knowledgeable folk on the AS Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Now the Care Home has not only put up the fees again but invoiced Mom for £2500 to be paid in advance (4 week's fees) whilst the Council are also asking for £500 a week. Care Home keep changing their story about fees and the Council don't respond to emails or phone calls asking for clarification. Social worker is nowhere to be seen.

As your mother is now self funding you have little option other than to accept their terms.
However read the contract before you sign.
They want 4 weeks upfront now.
If your mother unfortunately dies before the money runs out will this payment just settle the bill?
If she becomes LA assisted and a new contract is made with the LA what happens to the £2.5k?

Regarding the council not responding to emails try a concise,factual email to the finance department with a copy to the CEO, forget social services. The fact that the CEO gets a copy means other departments will have to investigate, you need not go into too much (confusing) detail, let them sort it out.

BrummieGirl

Dec 8, 2017
Thanks for the advice, Shedrech and Nitram. I will try the finance dept as suggested as well as talking to an adviser from Alzheimers.