Is there medication that will help with dementia? What does it do?

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
My partner was diagnosed with mixed dementia in February - vascular and alcohol related., It seems to be moving along quite rapidly in my eyes.

No one has said anything about medications that might slow it down/help - he is on a lot of vitamins because of his previous high alcohol intake - is that all that can be done?

thanks for reading.....

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband had Alzheimers and was on medication for over 15 years. I know that it's different when Vascular Dementia is part of the picture. My mother had only Vascular Dementia and was on no medication for that. There's a link here which might be of interest to you. The drugs my husband was on may have slowed the progression - I'll never know.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20162/drugs

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If there is no Alzheimer's in the mix, he is unlikely to be prescribed any dementia medication.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There is only donepezil (aka Aricept) that has any affect on dementia - and even then, it only works for Alzheimers, sometimes. It slows down the progression of Alzheimers, but doesnt cure it, or even halt it, it just slows it down. It doesnt always work and is difficult to tell what would have happened if it hadnt been given.

As I said, it only works for Alzheimers, so it you have vascular dementia: Lewy Bodys. FTD, alcohol dementia, or any of the many other types, it wont work.

Other drugs can be given for the symptoms of dementia - anti-depressants, anitpsychotics etc etc and although they can help the symptoms, they dont change the underlying dementia.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
My oh has been suffering from FTD and not been prescribed any meds that may help,(?). New consultant has suggested he tries mementine. One of the major side effects is additional problems re mobility, balance etc. Why would anyone want to prescribe a drug that is likely to exacerbate major issues that the patient is already presenting with. I am completely against this and if challenged and overruled will demand that it is recorded in his notes.
My Mum has Alzheimer's disease and has been on Memantine for four months, she was put on it because of her agitation and rage on occasions but the fact that we had just lost our Dad and her sweetheart of 63 years was probably the cause. Who knows if the drug has helped/is helping at all

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
My husband has Az and takes Rivastigmine to slow the dementia down and 6 years along it seems to work as his dementia is quite stable for now .

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
My husband had Alzheimers and was on medication for over 15 years. I know that it's different when Vascular Dementia is part of the picture. My mother had only Vascular Dementia and was on no medication for that. There's a link here which might be of interest to you. The drugs my husband was on may have slowed the progression - I'll never know.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20162/drugs
Thank you for that link - it made interesting reading and was very useful for me. Thanks again!

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Thank you one and all - I am learning about this awful disease all the time - and appreciate your help.
We have had intervention by the local Mental Health Team - the guy was very good and came to see us 3 times. He has now discharged us with the instructions to ask for another referral as and when needed.
I expressed concerns that my partner is not interested in anything much - so out of character. He will not go to the memory cafe in our village, or take part in any of the activities that are outlined in the AS literature. Previously he was active, intelligent, musical, enquiring - but now all he wants to do is sit in front of the TV all day. This itself is, to me, odd, as he refused to even have a TV in the house until we were given one in April.

The guy from the MHT said that my partner 'lives in the moment' and that he exudes contentment, and if sitting in front of the TV makes him happy, that is what he should do.

It does somewhat make me a prisoner in my own home, as he cannot be left. But that is by the by.

My main question, if anyone can answer this, is - from what I have detailed above, is it possible for anyone to assess how advanced his vascular dementia is? I am a genealogist by profession and have an enquiring mind - and it is niggling me - I keep trying to work out how long he must have had this disease before the diagnosis in Feb - not that it makes any difference to anything really.

Thank you for welcoming me to the group and thank you for reading.

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's two years ago, but I had noticed something was not right at least a year before this, it took over a year to get the diagnosis. He was prescribed Donepezil which I understood was only given for the Alzheimer's symptoms. I am so often asked if it has slowed things down. To be honest I haven't the faintest idea, I do not know what he would be like without the medication. I also have no idea what stage my husband is at, I have noticed a deterioration in his memory and his ability to carry out certain tasks but still have no idea. It seems to be a wait and see game as every case is different.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I don't think you can compare one PWD with others with PWD My dad has alzheimers and my mum was hinting at this before she died six years ago but I could not see it then. It was only after she died that I started to notice things. It has been very slow developing but this last year has been a bit of a step down as there are things that he could do a year ago that he cannot do now, problems with laptop and remote control spring to mind but he does still have some interests and looks forward to outings..

I have googled the different stages and as far as I can make out dad is still in the early stage, maybe progressing to early-mid stage so he probably has many years left.

He starts medication in January and I am hoping that it may help him for a while.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Mary Joan, Vascular dementia was explained to us as a stepwise downturn, each step coinciding with anothe tia, as these can occur at any time, anywhere in the brain, progress is difficult to chart. The first one we knew OH had had, he had bent down to put dishes in the dishwasher. As he got up he felt his head had become disconnected from his body. Eventually we went to A&E who were concerned as his heart rate was low, although it wasn’t low for him.
Other Tia’s just needed a couple of hours asleep on the bed.
So no, no progress that can be compared to anyone else.
Everyone is different. OH lived another 8 years, he had it at least 4 at diagnosis. He also had Alzheimer’s!
You can only take each new symptom as it comes.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Mary Joan, Vascular dementia was explained to us as a stepwise downturn, each step coinciding with anothe tia, as these can occur at any time, anywhere in the brain, progress is difficult to chart. The first one we knew OH had had, he had bent down to put dishes in the dishwasher. As he got up he felt his head had become disconnected from his body. Eventually we went to A&E who were concerned as his heart rate was low, although it wasn’t low for him.
Other Tia’s just needed a couple of hours asleep on the bed.
So no, no progress that can be compared to anyone else.
Everyone is different. OH lived another 8 years, he had it at least 4 at diagnosis. He also had Alzheimer’s!
You can only take each new symptom as it comes.
I see, I realise this is a complex situation - it is a big learning curve for me - thankfully himself is happy and contented at the moment and not in the least bothered by his condition....

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I see, I realise this is a complex situation - it is a big learning curve for me - thankfully himself is happy and contented at the moment and not in the least bothered by his condition....

I think with vascular dementia, the damage to the brain can be seen on scans. This is not the case with Alzheimer's where a diagnosis is usually made on the basis of symptoms.

I believe there can be long periods with vascular dementia where the condition plateaus between TIAs whereas Alzheimer's is a steady downward progression. In any case, the duration of the phases is, as others have said, particular to the individual so there can be prolonged good periods where the person is relatively happy and content.

Jemsammatt1992

Dec 6, 2017
Hi my husband has had Alzheimer’s for 4 years now and is also fighting cancer he is only 62 no one has recommended The medication you mention he takes donzepezil was it something that you asked for, my husband seems to be getting worse by the day but think probably because if the stress of the cancer am at my wits end some days.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Jemsammatt1992
a warm welcome to TP
what a lot you and your husband have to contend with

there are various meds that can help with anxiety/agitation - have a chat with your husband's GP and consultant and explain how things are for him right now so that some meds can be tried - I know my dad also takes an anti-depressant to help settle his mood swings

it's difficult even beginning to recommend a drug as we're not professionals and each person seems to react individually to each drug and combination, so sometimes it is, I'm afraid, a bit of trial and error

maybe these 2 AS booklets may give you some useful info
Drug treatments for Alzheimer's disease (407)
Drugs used to relieve behavioural and psychological symptoms in dementia (408)

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hi my husband has had Alzheimer’s for 4 years now and is also fighting cancer he is only 62 no one has recommended The medication you mention he takes donzepezil was it something that you asked for, my husband seems to be getting worse by the day but think probably because if the stress of the cancer am at my wits end some days.
I think maybe you should have a talk with the mental health team . My husband was on memantine first but I felt after 2 years it was not really doing anything so I asked if they could change his meds . Like shedrech suggested it’s individual to the person . Husband is also epileptic so a lot of the dementia drugs inter fear with this . I am so sorry you are having such a tough time . It’s always good to chat with consultant as he might be able to put your mind at ease a bit . Hugs to you xxx