normal pressure hydrocephalus

Racheal

Jun 22, 2016
My husband has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia 4 years now. But he has just been diagnosed with normal pressure hydrocephalus. Has anyone had loved ones diagnosed with this condition? Your experiences will hopefully help me understand this condition more

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Caveat: not a medical professional!

Yes, I have had a family member diagnosed with normal pressure hydrocephalus, about ten years ago. It is likely she had the NPH for some time (weeks to months) before it was diagnosed. She required a surgical procedure to place a shunt to drain the extra CSF (cerebrospinal fluid), which relived her symptoms from the NPH (the classic trio of gait, incontinence, and memory issues). She spent a couple of days in the hospital and then went to a rehabilitation facility, mainly because she lived alone with no support, far from family, and needed help with dressing changes and medication supervision.

At the time this relative had a known history of bipolar disorder and/or depression, managed with medication and under the care of a psychiatrist. She had no other medical conditions. Ten years later her shunt is still functional and there have been no recurrence of the hydrocephalus symptoms.

This is, of course, only one person--a case study, if you will. For more information about your husband I would urge you to speak to his physicians and ask them all your questions. I have no information about how a condition like NPH presents in a patient with mixed dementia, if treatment will be indicated, and so forth. Those are all good questions for the neurologist.

I hope you can get the information you need and best wishes to you and your husband.

Wishful

Nov 28, 2014
My husband is waiting for a lumber puncture to see if he has NPH. He has underlying Alzheimer's and we were told if he has NPH then any treatment would be short-lived.