Advice on Quetiapine

aeb11

Dec 1, 2017
My father as been prescribed Quetiapine 25mg for his anger . He as been on these for two
weeks now and it seems to have helped . But he as had two mini seizures , fainted in a week.
Luckily I was there to catch him , he as never had these before , i contacted his doctor and he
said it more than likely was not because of this new tablet he started . Today he had another
when eating and the doctor said they was going to rush an appt through for a neurolgist . In
the meantime i told him not to take the Quetiapine . As anyone had any problems with these
tablets , are they safe , and is there a different tablet he could try ?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello aeb11
welcome to TP
it's good that your GP is dealing with your dad's seizures - no doubt the medics will consider carefully what drugs to suggest for your dad
the problem is that each person can react so individually to drugs - so that what suits on doesn't go down well with another
if you want a variety of experiences, put 'quietipine' into the search box at the very top of this page and you'll find a list of threads on which it is mentioned
just to be clear, though, did the doctor tell your dad to stop taking the quietipine, or did you decide to tell your dad? - if the latter, do be sure to let the doctor know otherwise they will be assuming that your dad is still taking it, which may make a difference to how they prescribe other meds and how they approach his presentation

MaryH

Jun 16, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Talk to your doctor since it seem to me the anger is minor compared with the seizures and if your dad was stable and the anger can be managed in other fashion, maybe take it off and get him stablized before trying something different.

You should talk to your pharmacist too since if it is a generic version of the drug, they may have different side effects based on the version / manufacturers and there are potential issues with drug interactions with other drugs your dad is taking too.

Dad had a stroke week 4 or 2nd day on full dose of a 4 week step up of Mementine and I had to fight with the resident to get dad off it back to baseline since they did not want to call in a geriatric consult. They agreed with me 1st time I raised the issue but it was not done and I have to repeat the request 5 days after and they started halving the dose that day and dad spoke his first intelligible word 2 days after. After an experience 2 years ago, I try not to change more than 1 medication at a time unless really necessary.

Mary

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mum has been on Quetiapine for almost 8 weeks and has had the dose adjusted 3 times. Now on 25mg mrng, 12.5 in the aftnoon and 12.5 in the evening.
Its been a bit of a roller coaster but on the whole has worked well. Mum has had no ill side effects apart from extra tiredness and a nap after lunch Is not sedated though. Unlike when they tried her on Lorazepam.
I have a thread ‘ Where to from here’ in the Mid Stage Dementia forum.
I’m sorry to hear about your Dad.
It could be entirely coincedental but as said everyone reacts differently.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband started on Quetiapine about three months ago now. He started on 25mg (half a tablet twice per day) during which time he had one mild fit, one bout of sickness and two falls. The consultant wasn't convinced it was down to the new medication so we stuck with it a while longer.

He is now quite settled on one 25mg tablet at night and (only if needed) half a tablet in the morning. It is rare that I have to give him that half tablet.

The consultant told me that it worked for my husband because it dealt with his psychotic episodes as to being prescribed for general anger management. This was because I queried the fact that the leaflet with the medication said it wasn't intended for treating people with dementia.

It probably took us about 12 weeks to feel comfortable with the medication. He is so much happier now.

It doesn't help everyone. The consultant told me that it was the most easily accepted (I think he might have said most easily absorbed but I'm not sure) - but he did indicate that there were other drugs to try if the Quetiapine didn't suit.

We already knew that lorazepam was not an option as he had half a tablet a couple of years back and within an hour he was so out of control he ended up in hospital.

It's a shame it comes down to trial and error a lot of the time but it is the only way to find what works. I hope your father's medication is tweaked to a satisfactory type and level soon.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan