Befriender? SALT?

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
I've heard of 'sitters', is that he same as a 'befriended'? And what do they do? How do you find one?
Also, I keep seeing SALT but have no idea what that is?
Can anyone explain please?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
SALT is Speech and Language Therapy/ist usually use on here when people have swallowing issues which come under their domain too.
Sitters are usually paid and befrienders are conventionally volunteers but some people seem to use the two words as if they mean the same thing.
If you google the name of the town you're looking in and befreinders and see what comes up as it varies from area to area, you could ask the local AZ society, AGEUK or similar and see what they advise. Various charity organisations do a befriending service both local and national.
K

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
To me a sitter and a befriender are the same thing. We first got sitting service through Age UK as part of his care package. We contacted them directly but you can also go via Social Services. Later, when OH needed actual carers we had the sitting service provided by the same care agency as well to ensure there weren't lots of different face per week.

Basically, a sitter spends time with the person, chatting, playing games etc or taking them out for a walk. It's a broad spectrum but usually differs from a carers job in that no personal care or medication is given. It's purely time spent with that person in various ways.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated.

I'm struggling with the idea of either Mum going to day care or having somebody coming in to our home to give my husband and me some time on our own.
Even though my husband has taken early retirement with the view that he will take mum to a day care facility as I am too emotionally involved, I still don't want her to go but know she must for her own sake as well as ours.
Day care sounds preferable as at least we can be in our own home and do whatever we want. As it is now, we have no time on our own and even as I sit in bed typing I have to close the iPad down so Mum doesn't see the light coming from it every time she wanders out of her room or peeks in. I really want some time on my own and time with my husband, son and grandchildren

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Day care saved my life, I'm telling you. OH used to go full-time Monday to Friday. He loved it and it gave me time to myself. He had company there, social interaction, a variety of activities, a second breakfast and a hot lunch plus tea and biscuits in the afternoon. It honestly was win-win. We also had sitting service, mainly some evenings and weekends. They took him out to the park a lot as he loved going on walks while he was still able to. It was good, but yes, it can get intrusive to have people in your house all the time. I would try a combination of both and see how it goes. A good day centre is worth its weight in gold.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
Day care saved my life, I'm telling you. OH used to go full-time Monday to Friday. He loved it and it gave me time to myself. He had company there, social interaction, a variety of activities, a second breakfast and a hot lunch plus tea and biscuits in the afternoon. It honestly was win-win. We also had sitting service, mainly some evenings and weekends. They took him out to the park a lot as he loved going on walks while he was still able to. It was good, but yes, it can get intrusive to have people in your house all the time. I would try a combination of both and see how it goes. A good day centre is worth its weight in gold.
Thanks Beate, I went to three day care centres near to home. I was invited to take mum there for afternoon tea.
Do you know if this is 'normal'?
There was a small lounge with the tv on and a documentary about the Queen. Two ladies in wheelchairs not speaking and one lady who was not very advanced with dementia sitting. One young girl in charge and one volunteer looking after one of the wheelchair bound ladies who was blind.
Tea, one cup, no offer of re-fill, no water that I could see in evidence and a measley cho chip cookie and buttered fruit cake thinly sliced for afternoon tea.
I had to take mum out of the room at one point because the person in charge was loudly talking non stop and I could see mum becoming upset, the person in charge didn't notice

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I guess they all vary. Our day centre had a TV but in a side room. There were always enough staff, they had a water cooler and offered drinks throughout but when you had a nice two course lunch I don't think you need more than a few biscuits with a cuppa in the afternoon. It isn't like the afternoon tea you can book in restaurants, and don't forget, some elderly people don't eat a lot anymore.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
I guess they all vary. Our day centre had a TV but in a side room. There were always enough staff, they had a water cooler and offered drinks throughout but when you had a nice two course lunch I don't think you need more than a few biscuits with a cuppa in the afternoon. It isn't like the afternoon tea you can book in restaurants, and don't forget, some elderly people don't eat a lot anymore.
In the morning they do activities the lunch then lounge and yes you’re right re food I think I’m just being very picky as I hate the thought of Mum going but I know she must x

MaryH

Jun 16, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
I think you want to find a day care (adult day program) that would try to engage the PWD and have some empathy and training. If the person in charge is not noticing your mom getting upset, it is a bad sign since she is likely in charge of hiring and/or getting volunteers. Usually they should have a program that they can show you unless it is a very small operation...