Managing my parents' finances from overseas

rbengo69

Nov 30, 2017
Hello everyone,
Both of my parents suffer from dementia and my father in particular is declining quite rapdidly. They are still living at home with my adult younger brother who suffers from Asperger's Syndrome. Carers visit the house 3 times a day, but I think it is only a matter of time before we have to consider residential care.
I live and work overseas and have a young daughter who I do not want to uproot in order to return to the UK. I have Lasting Power of Attorney for both health and finances, but the problem is that my parents' bank will not allow me to register my LPA. I therefore have to rely on the family solicitor to arrange all payments for care, home repairs, etc.
I realise that it is against the rules of the forum to promote specific goods or services, but could anyone direct towards a website/FAQ etc. that could help me to find a bank that will allow me to manage my parents' finances from abroad?
Thanks in advance

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
........but the problem is that my parents' bank will not allow me to register my LPA.
What reason have they given? Most banks have a dedicated team to deal with LPA's have you spoken to them?

When I enquired with Mom's bank, Santander, I could have sent the documents needed by post or go into the branch.

:)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Not sure it makes any difference but which country are you in? There are new rules affecting the US which I am aware cause problems in the UK

rbengo69

Nov 30, 2017
What reason have they given? Most banks have a dedicated team to deal with LPA's have you spoken to them?

When I enquired with Mom's bank, Santander, I could have sent the documents needed by post or go into the branch.

:)
Thanks for your reply. I initially went to my parents' bank in April to register the LPA. I took along all the required documents but was told that my Italian driving license was not valid as it has no address on it. I was told to go back with a utility bill showing my address, which I duly did when I returned to the UK in September. I was then told that I could not register the LPA anyway, as I am not resident in the UK. The guy was very helpful and apologetic and phoned his superior, but was told it was against their policy. I asked if there was anyone else I could contact, and he told me that I could try, but it probably would be a waste of time.
I therefore need to find a bank that will let me a) register the LPA and b) access internet banking from overseas...

rbengo69

Nov 30, 2017
Not sure it makes any difference but which country are you in? There are new rules affecting the US which I am aware cause problems in the UK
Thanks for your reply and nice to make your virtual acquaintance.
I am based in Italy, while my parents are in North-east England.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Thanks for your reply. I initially went to my parents' bank in April to register the LPA. I took along all the required documents but was told that my Italian driving license was not valid as it has no address on it. I was told to go back with a utility bill showing my address, which I duly did when I returned to the UK in September. I was then told that I could not register the LPA anyway, as I am not resident in the UK. The guy was very helpful and apologetic and phoned his superior, but was told it was against their policy. I asked if there was anyone else I could contact, and he told me that I could try, but it probably would be a waste of time.
I therefore need to find a bank that will let me a) register the LPA and b) access internet banking from overseas...
What bank was this?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
The guy was very helpful and apologetic and phoned his superior, but was told it was against their policy. I asked if there was anyone else I could contact, and he told me that I could try, but it probably would be a waste of time.
do it anyway, in writing - it may well be worth your while, and will therefore save you added work

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
My Mum's UK bank (Lloyds) had absolutely no problem with my POA, internet banking set up for me etc and I lived in Ireland with all my ID being from here.