Catastrophe

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
My mum is always asking me if I am alright?!

We assume that a fall will make a noisy bang, but it rarely does. My mum's falls are due in part to her bending down to pick something up and then slowly the rest of her body goes down that she ends up sitting on the floor and cannot get up.
Mine too and also that she wants to buy me something, what do I want?..

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad was so grateful for my help in the week that he gave me money to spend I spent it on groceries, taxis to and from hospital and costas in the hospital!

jennypie

Jan 5, 2014
North yorkshire
Falls happen not your fault, your brother probably says these things because he can't do what you are doing. My oh fell outside the front door just as I was opening the door he must of let go of the rail we can't have eyes everywhere. !

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
1jay (no dementia) has problems with his sodium levels. He also has diabetes 2. His low sodium levels cause befuddled brain. His high salt intake causes befuddled brain

We juggle his salt intake (crisps , salty food) with his fluid intake 100ml a day for one week. This mostly balances him out.

Last year he had 10 days in hospital whilst medics tried to get him balanced. Hopefully not this year

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad's latest hospital visit showed his sodium levels to be normal and he has to go back in one month for a review. The consultant who is reviewing him is his geriatrician and this will give me a chance to talk about his alzheimers. I also realise that when he didn't want me to leave the hospital without him the other day he must have been rather frightened. After all he doesn't know what is going on but he realises that he is having all these tests.

MaNaAk

PS: My youngest brother really doesn't like to think of me caring for Dad and I understand this concern. He thinks I am being held back caring for Dad which I probably am and it is partly my fault that dad didn't want me to leave the hospital. I have told him that if I hadn't been here on Wednesday night Dad probably wouldn't be here today. I am still able to meet up with friends, go to concerts and enjoy holidays and I am enjoying every bit of my independence. I am also enjoying making memories with Dad.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad's latest hospital visit showed his sodium levels to be normal and he has to go back in one month for a review. The consultant who is reviewing him is his geriatrician and this will give me a chance to talk about his alzheimers. I also realise that when he didn't want me to leave the hospital without him the other day he must have been rather frightened. After all he doesn't know what is going on but he realises that he is having all these tests.

MaNaAk

PS: My youngest brother really doesn't like to think of me caring for Dad and I understand this concern. He thinks I am being held back caring for Dad which I probably am and it is partly my fault that dad didn't want me to leave the hospital. I have told him that if I hadn't been here on Wednesday night Dad probably wouldn't be here today. I am still able to meet up with friends, go to concerts and enjoy holidays and I am enjoying every bit of my independence. I am also enjoying making memories with Dad.

Hello everyone!

I am just providing an update. Today Dad and I went back to hospital to see if he needs a back brace. I realise that Dad's back was much better but because we were told that he had a wedge fracture I decided to chase up the suggested back brace. Anyway my brother gave us a lift to the hospital and Dad and I were both able to walk to the orthopaedic department!

They examined Dad and after having been told by about two people that he had a 'wedge fracture' we were told that all he had done was aggravate an old injury with his falls. I was wondering how he was able to walk with a broken back but I am not a doctor so I can only go by what I am told. We were told that he would need a back brace and when it didn't appear when Dad was admitted to hospital I decided to chase it up. I didn't want anything else to go wrong so I wanted to make sure that Dad got the appropriate treatment. Anyway I was quite worried about his back but now it looks as though I shouldn't have been quite so worried!

MaNaAk