CQC Reporting

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
I have just read the latest CQC report for my mums care home and for the second time this year has been given a ‘requires improvement’ status. I know the Home has undergone a couple of management changes this past year since my mum has been resident and also staff morale has been quite low at times because of this, but I cannot fault the care mum has received during her decline with dementia this year. The home itself looks a little tired and is in the process of being redecorated and new furniture installed, but to me the care given to mum is my main concern as she is now on end of life care and if things look a little frayed around the edges does this go against them with the CQC. The staff have been a wonderful support to me through this difficult time and always ready with a shoulder to cry on and cups of endless tea. I know records need to be maintained to a certain level but there has been no problem when I ask to see my mums and everything always appears to be in order. I visit daily and see the care that staff give to the residents and other relatives also agree that they cannot fault the care. I visited many care homes in the early days and although some were given ‘good’ rating by CQC would not have dreamed of moving mum to some of them. Am I missing something? I feel like contacting CQC and giving them my views on the home. Perhaps the inspectors visited on a bad day. It is just so disappointing for the management and staff as I know they are doing their utmost to provide a good service in this difficult climate with Social Care.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I have just read the latest CQC report for my mums care home and for the second time this year has been given a ‘requires improvement’ status. I know the Home has undergone a couple of management changes this past year since my mum has been resident and also staff morale has been quite low at times because of this, but I cannot fault the care mum has received during her decline with dementia this year. The home itself looks a little tired and is in the process of being redecorated and new furniture installed, but to me the care given to mum is my main concern as she is now on end of life care and if things look a little frayed around the edges does this go against them with the CQC. The staff have been a wonderful support to me through this difficult time and always ready with a shoulder to cry on and cups of endless tea. I know records need to be maintained to a certain level but there has been no problem when I ask to see my mums and everything always appears to be in order. I visit daily and see the care that staff give to the residents and other relatives also agree that they cannot fault the care. I visited many care homes in the early days and although some were given ‘good’ rating by CQC would not have dreamed of moving mum to some of them. Am I missing something? I feel like contacting CQC and giving them my views on the home. Perhaps the inspectors visited on a bad day. It is just so disappointing for the management and staff as I know they are doing their utmost to provide a good service in this difficult climate with Social Care.
I know more about Ofsted than these reports...but I contacted a care agency this morning and read their report...and it included comments from service users. Were you asked to contribute to the report? I think you must be able to get in touch and tell them what you have written here. It is almost as if it is about two different places, isn’t it? Certainly as far as Ofsted was concerned, they were looking at quality of care and education, not the state of the building over which we had no control.

ChristinaG

Feb 21, 2017
I knew someone whose relative was in a Home with an excellent rating. They hated it and had a terrible time trying to raise their concerns. The manager had even persuaded the inspector to up grade the rating after the CQC had visited. They moved their relative to another one which the CQC rated needs improving on two counts and like you they couldn't praise the Home enough. I guess it's down to what they see on the day but I can't help thinking they are looking at the wrong things and they need to see the wider picture. I don't know if they speak to relatives on a regular basis anonymously. I think they should.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I have just read the latest CQC report for my mums care home and for the second time this year has been given a ‘requires improvement’ status.

Twice in a year looks as if defects listed in the first report have not been rectified, maybe second inspection triggered by complaints
Were the 'requires improvement' assessments in the same category both times?
Are the improvements in a category that does not affect your mum e.g. activities and your mum is bed bound?
If the 'requires improvement' relates to drug control/administration I would be worried.

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
Yes mum is bed bound and not on any medication other than pain control. It shows ‘requires improvement’ in all categories which was surprising especially, as I said previously, I cannot fault the care given to mum. There, of course, could have been complaints and I completely understand that drug control and admin of meds’ must be adhered to correctly. It seems from reading the report that record keeping was the main concern from CQC and also appropriate staff training. We now have a new manager and deputy manager in post and I did raise my concerns with them about the report. They have assured me that all recommended actions will take place and I can only take their word that this will happen but even in the last couple of weeks I have noticed improvements being made. As mum is now confined to bed my only wishes are that she gets the best care possible, she is kept clean and comfortable. Hopefully when the next CQC report for the home is published it will make better reading and I am sure all actions will be carried out as soon as possible.

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
Just to add that at the first inspection early this year I was interviewed and did give them a good report then on the care mum was given, but, unfortunately, I was away when the more recent inspection was carried out.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
If the report highlights minor concerns that although need to be addressed and improved upon only form part of the overall category criteria and they don't influence or impact on your Mum's care I would remain vigilant but make allowances as you seem happy with your mum' overall care. If on the other hand there are serious issues raised in the
report even if your mum wasn't affected directly I would be concerned as to how well led the home is and their ability to work towards meeting the required standards.

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
As I understand CQC reports are only as good or as bad as the day they're inspected.

I have looked at 14 Care and nursing homes over the summer and read all their CQC reports and some bear no resemblance whatsoever to what I found. One nursing home in particular was rated Good all the way through so I was keen to visit but it was awful. I arrived, parked up and about 6 members of staff were standing outside smoking. They had "award winning gardens" with not a soul in them despite it being a fabulous day. A craft room with no occupants, not a soul in the lounge and just a shabby feel to it. I met an old lady wandering in her nightdress with bare feet at 11 am. She was begging for someone to take her to the toilet. I asked where everybody was and was told they were all in their rooms which I thought was most odd late morning.

I don't go much by CQC reports anymore. When Mums home was inspected unannounced the owner ran out as I entered and told me the inspectors were in and would I only tell them positive things and anything negative we could iron out ourselves and I'm sure this goes on a lot.

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
When looking for a NH for my mum I visited about 6 locally. Some were stunningly beautiful and well decorated (think posh hotel) but felt so clinical and “cold”. When I first visited the NH I finally choose my first thoughts were “It’s a bit tired “ décor wise but it had a lovely warm homely feel. My husband went with me for a 2nd visit and thought the same. Something said choose that one so I did.

It’s a lovely big house with just 20 residents and whilst the décor maybe tired (but new owner’s spending money) the care, love, kindness and compassion shown to my mum and the other residents is just outstanding. I watch and listen to how they care and speak to mum and others and it’s just wonderful and with dignity. Many of the staff have been there many years and it is clear it is a vocation and not just a job. They have wonderful parties – in fact any excuse for a party – and entertainment is arranged regularly. My mum is vegetarian and the chef cooks the most gorgeous meals for mum and it’s a bit of a “game” now to create varying dishes for mumJ. The support they show me is what helps me through this wicked journey and I have sobbed on their shoulders many times. When I go in I feel like a big pairs of arms have gone round me hugging me. They care about the families not just the residents.

So sometimes it pays to look past the tired décor and CQC reports and go with your gut because mums home was “requires improvements” J

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
When looking for a NH for my mum I visited about 6 locally. Some were stunningly beautiful and well decorated (think posh hotel) but felt so clinical and “cold”. When I first visited the NH I finally choose my first thoughts were “It’s a bit tired “ décor wise but it had a lovely warm homely feel. My husband went with me for a 2nd visit and thought the same. Something said choose that one so I did.

It’s a lovely big house with just 20 residents and whilst the décor maybe tired (but new owner’s spending money) the care, love, kindness and compassion shown to my mum and the other residents is just outstanding. I watch and listen to how they care and speak to mum and others and it’s just wonderful and with dignity. Many of the staff have been there many years and it is clear it is a vocation and not just a job. They have wonderful parties – in fact any excuse for a party – and entertainment is arranged regularly. My mum is vegetarian and the chef cooks the most gorgeous meals for mum and it’s a bit of a “game” now to create varying dishes for mumJ. The support they show me is what helps me through this wicked journey and I have sobbed on their shoulders many times. When I go in I feel like a big pairs of arms have gone round me hugging me. They care about the families not just the residents.

So sometimes it pays to look past the tired décor and CQC reports and go with your gut because mums home was “requires improvements” J

I so agree with this Babymare! My Mum is on the waiting list for the best nursing home I could find. Some I looked at were like hotels but I barely saw a soul. The one I've chosen is a Victorian house with about 25 residents and the atmosphere was lovely. They asked so many questions about Mum and genuinely seemed interested. Some places never asked a single question other than "does she have dementia." the owner showed me around and said "it is what it is. It's higgledy piggledy and we can't extend any more due to its location and age.

Since we've been waiting about 3 months for a room I have met so many people who have family or have had family in there and I have not heard one negative comment. I didn't realise but a friends daughter worked there as a care assistant for 10 years and loved it. She still goes back for a catch up every so often.

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
Thank you all for your replies and it is reassuring to know that like me when visiting, go on your gut instinct. Forget the 5* posh frills and decor, go for the warmth and friendliness both of staff and residents. Spend time with other residents like I do when I visit mum and watch and listen to see how content they are. I too have never heard a bad comment from any of the other relatives who visit and have made some really good friends during this last year.

Mum is now nearing the end of her life and I am struggling to come to terms with this, but I wish CQC could have visited on a day when I needed a shoulder to cry on, as the staff could not have been kinder or any more supportive to me on these days and they always have time to listen. I wish they could have visited on a day to see the care and compassion they are giving to mum every day.