Selfish brother

Two2tango

Mar 25, 2017
Apologies in advance, but I just need to sound off so I can mentally tick off my frustration and get on with things.

I just find it so challenging that my brother can't see that my mum has real problems. She's lonely, gets confused, only has stuff in her fridge and freezer to eat because I "accidentally" over-buy milk, ham etc. and take her casseroles and other meals. He's siding with her because she doesn't like the carers coming in, even when I explain that them being there twice a week gives me a day off so I can sort out the other admin - GP and foot appointments, hairdressers etc . Even when I said, "Actually, it's so I can find out if she's alive or not" he still didn't get it! And to cap it all, we always have Christmas together as we're a small family (we don't have children) and this year he and his wife are going to their daughter and son-in-law as they have recently bought a new house - and we're not invited in case it's too noisy for mum! So it will just me, my husband and my lovely but confused mum. In my head I say "Dad would be turning in his grave because you can't even be bothered to see your mum on Christmas Day" but I don't because he'll turn it round and act all hurt.

Thanks for listening. I know all of this is so familiar to nearly everyone trying to do their best for their partner/parents but I just wish other family members would realise the emotional strain the caring puts on us, made worse by thoughtless relatives who can't/won't provide support.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
OH's daughter didn't seem to realise how hard it was until I told her I couldn't do something for her because I had to go to counselling.
I hope you will be ok and the carers keep coming, ask for more care more often if you think it helps.

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Two2Tango: I have a brother exactly like that. He claims there is not much wrong with her other than the memory problems you'd expect in someone aged 93. Of course, as far as mum is concerned I am the big bad wolf and the sun shines out of his ....
Hope sounding off made you feel a little bit better.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Me too Tango! The trouble one of my brothers has caused in the last year is unbelieveable. He has made no contact with my poor Mum since last May and they live less than 10 miles away. I would just carry on with your Mum as you are and not waste time or energy on him.