Holidays for pwd and spouse/carer

Hard Work

Sep 20, 2017
West yorkshire
Hi everyone,
Looking for advice and information. Have heard there are places to go where we can be together,
but where I can get some free time as these type of holiday places are staffed by, for want of a better word, professional carers.
Would be grateful for any help anyone can give. Many thanks.

Hard Work

Sep 20, 2017
West yorkshire
Hello! Someone told me about these holidays...http://www.dementiaadventure.co.uk/
It might not be exactly what you had in mind, but maybe worth a look?
Thanks so much Amethyst, have just skimmed the site and its looks very interesting.
We have used a well known travel co. who have their own hotels and use of others, but
I think something more active might be worth investigating. Many thanks.

Hard Work

Sep 20, 2017
West yorkshire

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
These holidays seem so expensive that it would perhaps be no more to get respite care for a week and take a proper break?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes they are expensive but it depends on what you want out of a break. For me, respite care never worked but taking OH on one of those holidays was nice as we could enjoy things together while having help with certain things. I have to say though that they work best when the PWD is still in the early to middle stages and relatively mobile, even though Revitalise caters for every stage. Dementia Adventure holidays are very active whilst Revitalise are more sedate, and they allow you more time away from your cared for. They also organise one evening out just for the carers while the PWDs are looked after by the staff and volunteers at the respective centre.

If you want to read about our experiences, search my Thread for "Vitalise", "Revitalise" (after they rebranded) and "Dementia Adventure":

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/caring-for-my-oh.70864/