Requesting medical records

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
If someone has been in hospital will details of symptoms/diagnosis/treatments be contained within the GP records? Or only within the hospital records? I know that you can apply for records from both a hospital & GP but just wondered if most of the hospital information would be contained within the GP records as I don't want to go to the trouble of requesting two sets of records if the GP records will contain the relevant information. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I believe the hospital notes are forwarded to the GP once the patient is discharged from hospital. Everything is on computer these days so GP should be able to access information.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Pain though it is, I really would go for both! Sometimes misinformation is written in to hospital letters to GPs as I know from (admittedly old) experience of working in an admin role in 2 hospitals and Mum's experience as a patient.
There will probably be differences in the two sets of notes and I'm not sure how much access GPs have to hospital systems.

I would suggest calling the hospital and ask for the dept that deals with providing the records, it will probably be called something like "Knowledge and Information" - they are supposed to help facilitate your request and should be able to advise re also requesting GP notes, it may save you time and stress.

Failing that, is there a helpful receptionist/Practice Manager who you have a chat with about it?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Not everything will be with the GP.

Give the GP Practice manager a ring and check to see if records are available on line. If they are not ask to be allowed to look at them. They should allow you to do this and it should be free although they can charge if you want copies. You can then see if what you want is there or not. They may ask you to submit a Subject Access Request first.

If the information is not there then you need to look at the Hospital web site and fill in the appropriate SAR. Again you can ask to just see them or you can ask for copies of the relevant documents. Being specific should narrow down any delay and cost.

If the records are only held electronically they can charge up to £10. If any part is held in paper form they can charge up to £50.

:)

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Thanks, I'll take your advice and request both. There seems to be some potential 'communication failures' relating to Mum's care (putting it mildly!) so I guess requesting both will be the best way of establishing who knew / did what. I've tried without success to call the hospital 'access officer' who apparently deals with these requests so think I'll need to try via PALs. Mum has recently changed GP and the new surgery asks for a form to be completed and a fee to be paid so looks like I can't reduce any time/stress there either.

Edit: Our posts crossed PeteR but thanks for the info. I know which specific docs and events /dates I need to look at so hopefully this will reduce any costs.