Preventing plugs being switched off

Grand_Daughter

Oct 31, 2017
Has anyone come across devices to prevent plugs being switched off at the wall?

My Grandmother's turned her fridge and freezer off several times at the wall so they've been tapped over temporary. Social services mentioned you can buy devices to safely prevent plugs being turned off but I've not been able to find anything online. Can anyone point me to them?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Grand_Daughter
welcome to TP
I must admit I just got plain white card/paper and taped it in place to hide the socket and the plugs - dad seemed to then leave them alone as he just saw a white blob rather than plugs in a socket
he also spotted the lights some have on them, and those on some electrical equipment, so I covered those too, bit trickier but the right tape worked - dad was at that point canny enough to know if there was a standby light on then the machine was plugged in, and he went hunting
of, course, older folk were all taught to turn off and unplug electrical items, so I suppose they are harking back to that time in their lives
I also just went on Ebay and searched for covers for electrical sockets
this came up
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clippasa...532363&hash=item43f5372089:g:rE4AAOSw4shX2EUG

Grand_Daughter

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks everyone, that's definitely pointed me in the right direction. Going to order the "Socket Safe Twin Plug Socket Cover" from Amazon to to resolve the immediate problem where the fridge and freezer are plugged in (sorry can't post the link being a newbie).

Louhelp1234

Jan 10, 2016
Many thanks for asking the question and many thanks for all the answers I was wondering the same for my mum.
for some reason she keeps turning her fridge freezer off xx I love this site there are so many helpful kind people on it xx

jknight

Oct 23, 2015
Hampshire
On a similar subject. Mum now has central heating after 20 odd years of none. Thermostat set to 21c. She turns it off at night (not that bad as the warmth from the day keeps the bungalow a whole lot warmer than it used to be) but she turns it up to 30c around teatime. Notes haven't worked. Any ideas?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
On a similar subject. Mum now has central heating after 20 odd years of none. Thermostat set to 21c. She turns it off at night (not that bad as the warmth from the day keeps the bungalow a whole lot warmer than it used to be) but she turns it up to 30c around teatime. Notes haven't worked. Any ideas?

Disable the existing thermostat and add a hidden one set at reasonable day/night temperatures.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I will give nitram a shout, for technology advice.

I will ask if you think it possible to have a new, programmable thermostat fitted elsewhere in the house and hide it in a locked cupboard of some sort, so Mum can't change it, and program it for a sensible setting? And/or install a new thermostat that you can control yourself remotely, via a smartphone or other device? You could leave the old one (now disabled) so that she can reset it all she likes, and not be frustrated that she can't find the thermostat.

And then maybe some very warm, cosy throws or lap rugs for Mum for Christmas? I like the sort that are down filled on one side and soft fleece on the other: very toasty!

Editing to add: Nitram beat me to it!

Grand_Daughter

Oct 31, 2017
We have a nest thermostat which can be locked with a pin code to prevent the programmed schedule being overridden. Hopefully someone else will have a cheaper alternative.

I installed the plug protector yesterday, the fridge and freezer are now protected from being switched off

Attachments

• B43DADA3-8FF1-47BB-B3EA-496A18055643.jpeg
    B43DADA3-8FF1-47BB-B3EA-496A18055643.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 510

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
hide it in a locked cupboard of some sort, so Mum can't change it, and program it for a sensible setting
Problem is a thermostat measures the air temperature around it, box it in and it measures the temperature in the box and it reacts to the temperature in the surrounding area not the house. Conventionally thermostats are put in a hallway to take an average to reflect doors being opened letting cold air in, box it in and you could end up freezing before the thermostat knows about it, it kind of defeats the object of having one if it isn't in an area which reflects the ambient temperature in the house. Same as with the plugs in the OP, covers are available like this one.
K
https://www.securitysafetyproducts....MI_cLj_OXf1wIVTbXtCh1x_wFqEAQYBCABEgI8xPD_BwE

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I've recently had a tamper proof thermostat installed in my dad's bungalow. I got it from Amazon. It has a blank front which you have to open to alter the temperature. I've had to set it at 23 degrees cos dad goes into the airing cupboard and starts tampering with the timer if he gets cold.

It's worked quite well so far. Previously he was either turning the thermostat right up (and then opening all the doors and windows cos it was too hot) or right down and phoning me to tell me it was broken!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamperproof-Heating-Cooling-Room-Thermostat/dp/B0077B6YY6

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
I organised a programmable thermostat and timer. Mother was used to the dial version. As it has a lift up lid she was unable to work that out. The added benefit is that, as it needs to programmed, even had she turned it up or down, it would revert to the programme. Worked well for the last 18 months - 2 years. I had had enough of galloping down as she had switched the heating off - again5 hours round trip. In the end, the retirement home manager had had enough as well.

Here is an example: https://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-cmt921-wireless-room-thermostat/87377 (There are cheaper versions)

As the above is wireless it can be left anywhere.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
There can be a downside to wireless thermostats. A friend of mine had to keep going to his dad's to sort out his "broken" central heating. His dad insisted on keeping the thermostat in the windowsill and when the sun shone through thermostat thought it was too hot and turned off the heating...

Best to fix it to the wall.

jen54

May 20, 2014
We have a nest thermostat which can be locked with a pin code to prevent the programmed schedule being overridden. Hopefully someone else will have a cheaper alternative.

I installed the plug protector yesterday, the fridge and freezer are now protected from being switched off
This is a good idea, at present in this cold,we are having issues with mum unplugging all the heating, we gave have thought about timers so the heaters stay on and are set by thermostats,but mum is continually unplugging things.

Yellowduck

Account Closed
Dec 11, 2016
Essex
We have had a SALUS remote thermostat fitted that we can control from home. If Mum rings and says she is cold, we can just check the temperature on our phones and adjust as necessary.
We had to have wifi installed at her home (everything in Loft so she cannot fiddle) for CCTV, so it made sense to have her heating controlled by phone as well.

They heating system cost £190 installed. We left the old thermostat on the wall (not connected) so mum can play around as she wants!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951