Scamp63

Nov 14, 2017
London
Hi just joined today as the memory clinic said this was a good place to get information and help my mum has alzhimers and it was confirmed only six weeks ago although i guessed she had it for a while but guess i did not want to admit to it. It strange my mum 'can remember all of her other six children's names but never mine and i take care of her 24/7 i guess this is because i was named after her mother who died many years ago.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Scamp63
and welcome to TP
I am so glad to hear that the memory clinic recommended you join us here
in many ways, it's sad that new members join us, in view of why we all arrive at the site - this is such a supportive community, though, that you'll not regret joining in
post with anything that's on your mind and folk will be along to chat and help

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi just joined today as the memory clinic said this was a good place to get information and help my mum has alzhimers and it was confirmed only six weeks ago although i guessed she had it for a while but guess i did not want to admit to it. It strange my mum 'can remember all of her other six children's names but never mine and i take care of her 24/7 i guess this is because i was named after her mother who died many years ago.
Hello @Scamp63 and welcome. It's good to hear that the memory clinic were able to let you know about Talking Point. Caring for someone with dementia can be very isolating, so it's always good to have a place where you can talk to others in similar circumstances, and know that you will be understood.

Have a browse around the forum, and join in any ongoing discussions. Then you could start a thread of your own, maybe in the "I Care for a person with dementia" section.

Scamp63

Nov 14, 2017
London
hello Scamp63
and welcome to TP
I am so glad to hear that the memory clinic recommended you join us here
in many ways, it's sad that new members join us, in view of why we all arrive at the site - this is such a supportive community, though, that you'll not regret joining in
post with anything that's on your mind and folk will be along to chat and help

Scamp63

Nov 14, 2017
London
thank you for that i think with this site i might not feel so alone or lost although i am one of seven they dont want to discuss anything about mums illness or how i feel about things so for me it nice to know about other people with the same problems with caring

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi Scampi and welcome to the forum'
I think there are a lot of people in your position whose other family dont want to know, but at least there is here, where we all understand

Scamp63

Nov 14, 2017
London
thank you its nice to know that there are people out there who care and can give advice and tips to plus some where you can have a moan

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi Scamp63

I will echo what others have said and this is a great place to come to. I have only been here a few months and now I check in everyday just to see what others are posting. You can get some good advice here and if you feel like it, you can have a good rant about anything that is bothering you and others will join in with most likely the same problem. I know this because I have had a few rants, mostly about being the only carer and that is a very common problem.

Just having someone to talk to who understands what you are experiencing can be a big help.

Lots of handy tips as well.

Scamp63

Nov 14, 2017
London
Hi Scamp63

I will echo what others have said and this is a great place to come to. I have only been here a few months and now I check in everyday just to see what others are posting. You can get some good advice here and if you feel like it, you can have a good rant about anything that is bothering you and others will join in with most likely the same problem. I know this because I have had a few rants, mostly about being the only carer and that is a very common problem.

Just having someone to talk to who understands what you are experiencing can be a big help.

Lots of handy tips as well.

Scamp63

Nov 14, 2017
London
thank you for that i know where to go when i need a rant. i only joined a few hours ago and people have been so nice and it does make you feel your not on your own

Scamp63

Nov 14, 2017
London
Evening everyone i have a question that someone might help me with the memory clinic have given my mum Memantine hydrochloride tab lets this is only her second week on them 10mg goes up in the next weeks ,What i was wondering do these tablets help and i know everyone who takes them are different but it would be nice to have some feed back hope this is a question that is okay to ask.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I don’t have experience of this, but I know that others do. This reply will ‘bump’ you up the list so you get seen!

Scamp63

Nov 14, 2017
London
thank you for that doctors don't have the time to go through it with you and i think its better asking the people in the know