Loosing weight

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
is it norma to loose weight with dementia as other half is loosing weight with out trying

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I don't know about normal vannesser .

My husband ate less and lost interest in food so did lose weight. Perhaps this is the same for your husband.

If you are too worried, have a word with your doctor.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I know of someone with dementia who has got very thin, despite still having a good appetite. His consultant said that he is using lots of calories concentrating and trying to understand things. He is also very restless, so that uses up calories. Maybe it is the same for your husband.

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
is it norma to loose weight with dementia as other half is loosing weight with out trying

This happened to my father-in-law, his appetite varied greatly from day to day, sometimes would fill both legs as well as his tummy, but then not eat much for a week.
However my friend's husband who started loosing because he just didn't think he was hungry, then got a taste for cake and chocolate once in a care home, now he's put weight back on. It's not the healthiest of diets, but in the grand scheme of things, better to be eating than not. And of course he's drinking more because he's eating!

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hi there, My husband was always thin. But now he is extremely thin. He has high cholesterol which we treat with tablets. But I let him eat whatever he likes....he loves ice cream Movenpick Double Gruyere and Meringue. His doctor encourages lots of protein, egg and bacon breakfast etc. I go through various periods of focussing on his food...then get lax. But I guess my point is medically, his Alzheimer's physician is less concerned about heart issues and cholesterol and more interested in keeping weight on him. Feeding him up as much as possible.

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Sorry you have this worry Vanessa. I think it is part of the illness,especially Alzheimers. Just give him anything that he will eat. Very frustrating and upsetting for you. So far my husband will eat anything and everything. Since he has been in a nursing home he has put on weight that he didn't need. When I say to the staff they give him to much the answer is that they like the patients to have a bit of weight, as it helps if they get ill ,and gives them a fighting chance if they don't eat for a while. I hope your husband eats more for you. It is a worry. Not sure if what I have been told is true.xxx

Bunty123

Nov 10, 2016
I think when you loose your sense of smell you then loose your interest in food, my oh has lost three stones without trying.........

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
I think when you loose your sense of smell you then loose your interest in food, my oh has lost three stones without trying.........

I have the opposite problem @Bunty123 , my OH lost his sense of smell years ago, and admits his taste is going too. But he just seems to keep eating - all day if I'd let him - and don't mention the amount of cheese he can get through in a day!

AL60

Oct 14, 2016
Cheshire
Hi. My wife has lost about four stone , it hasn't been a rapid drop, just slow and consistent over three years. She's now totally powered by cheese and potatoes. She used to love a cup of tea but now even that tastes funny to her. Milk is now her favourite tipple, full fat with added skimmed milk powder for extra vitamins. We must be doing something right as weight has remained steady over the last few months, if anything it may even have increased a little. Al.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
My mum has been losing weight since being in her care home. She will not eat anything savoury preferring sweet things but only small amounts. They are keeping a check on it & will be liaising with doc but it annoyed me tonight that the manager said she was still in the obese range as if her weight loss is ok. It's the way she's losing it that concerns me & the fact that she now has lots of skin folds on her upper legs, places that can get sore if not cleansed & dried properly. Much like her bottom area I noticed when I changed her. Sorry!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan