I'm so scared

Slammergraham

Nov 12, 2015
Tomorrow I get results of my brain scan that might determine whether I have Familial early onset Alzheimers. My mum was diagnosed at the age of 62 and died 25 years ago at the age of 69. Brother very similar, died 5 years ago. Sister diagnosed 2 years ago at the age of 61 and from that moment I have worried, cried and have been living in terror. It's as if an 'alzheimers' black cloud follows me continuously. So I have made the decision to have the brain scan (done 20th Oct) through the memory clinic that my sister attends. I am 60 next February.
If my test is clear then I am 'still in the loop' and believe I will be invited back for an annual scan to keep an eye on me. It breaks my heart and causes me so much pain to see my sister walk this dreadful road that my other loved one's have walked before her and the knowledge that my children/grandchildren may do the same. I am so grateful there are forums such as this. They can only be helpful and comforting to patients and their carers. Whatever the outcome I will always find comfort in the messages. Fingers crossed.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I too hope the news is good. Please let us know how it goes.
I understand what you mean about being in the loop as my wife thinks the same. My wife was already being investigated for depression and anxiety before the dementia was discovered at the age of 64. The early diagnosis of Alzheimer’s has meant that she was prescribed good meds., on which she is doing very well, at an early stage.
Albeit that I have had to adopt a careers role, our lives have changed little as I have the stamina and ability to meet the challenges thus far - with only a few tears shed along the way!
Try to remain positive - it will help immensely.

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
I too hope you have good news tomorrow. We are all here for you so keep posting. This forum is such a support for us all no matter how we are facing this long and arduous journey. Sending love and virtual hugs to you xxx

buddy 18

Dec 6, 2014
Tomorrow I get results of my brain scan that might determine whether I have Familial early onset Alzheimers. My mum was diagnosed at the age of 62 and died 25 years ago at the age of 69. Brother very similar, died 5 years ago. Sister diagnosed 2 years ago at the age of 61 and from that moment I have worried, cried and have been living in terror. It's as if an 'alzheimers' black cloud follows me continuously. So I have made the decision to have the brain scan (done 20th Oct) through the memory clinic that my sister attends. I am 60 next February.
If my test is clear then I am 'still in the loop' and believe I will be invited back for an annual scan to keep an eye on me. It breaks my heart and causes me so much pain to see my sister walk this dreadful road that my other loved one's have walked before her and the knowledge that my children/grandchildren may do the same. I am so grateful there are forums such as this. They can only be helpful and comforting to patients and their carers. Whatever the outcome I will always find comfort in the messages. Fingers crossed.

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland

My fingers have been crossed for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew