Update on my complaint re care home

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
regulars may remember that Mum had very poor care at the home she was in, we removed her, she's had ages in hospital and I complained to social services.

I've finally had a response and they've been into the home and looked into my complaints. It's an absolute whitewash and they have truly had the wool pulled over their eyes.

There were two matters that they say the home have agreed to address so that's something. They insist they offer activities and outings but Mum never went on a single outing for sure and activities were sparse. They have told the QA team that Mum GAINED 1st 3 lbs while she was in there for 8 months. That is an absolute lie as the weight was falling off her and we had to buy smaller clothes. I have just been to her GP practice and they confirmed that she weighed 1st 2 lbs less than they are claiming when I took her to the doctor as I was so concerned about her.

They say Mum was always offered a second helping but she declined - that's another lie. They say Mum refused to sit outside in the good weather - Mum was never invited To sit outside but would have loved it.

I need to calm down now and go through their reply point by point and get back to them.

QA Didnt even respond to my comment that when the CQC inspectors came in the Owner ran out to me and told me to only mention positive things to them and "anything negative we will iron out between ourselves."

I still have photos of rotten bananas they gave my Mum and we also have video footage of the owner and her manager being very rude and offensive to my brother when he said that he wasn't happy about how they were caring for Mum as she had had so many falls. I haven't mentioned these to them yet, but will do very soon.

saskia

Aug 10, 2015
North Essex
omg - that is shocking. you must feel like hitting your head against a brick wall... or theirs?

im sure others will say more -but don't give up.

thinking of you

xx

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Been reading your threads about this one and this update has just scared the hell out of me. How can these people get away with such horrible behaviour and cover their tracks so deviously. They seem to play the dementia card to benefit and cover themselves, plus time is always on their side to clear up some of their mess and get their stories straight.

Hope you can continue with this fight.

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
regulars may remember that Mum had very poor care at the home she was in, we removed her, she's had ages in hospital and I complained to social services.

I've finally had a response and they've been into the home and looked into my complaints. It's an absolute whitewash and they have truly had the wool pulled over their eyes.

There were two matters that they say the home have agreed to address so that's something. They insist they offer activities and outings but Mum never went on a single outing for sure and activities were sparse. They have told the QA team that Mum GAINED 1st 3 lbs while she was in there for 8 months. That is an absolute lie as the weight was falling off her and we had to buy smaller clothes. I have just been to her GP practice and they confirmed that she weighed 1st 2 lbs less than they are claiming when I took her to the doctor as I was so concerned about her.

They say Mum was always offered a second helping but she declined - that's another lie. They say Mum refused to sit outside in the good weather - Mum was never invited To sit outside but would have loved it.

I need to calm down now and go through their reply point by point and get back to them.

QA Didnt even respond to my comment that when the CQC inspectors came in the Owner ran out to me and told me to only mention positive things to them and "anything negative we will iron out between ourselves."

I still have photos of rotten bananas they gave my Mum and we also have video footage of the owner and her manager being very rude and offensive to my brother when he said that he wasn't happy about how they were caring for Mum as she had had so many falls. I haven't mentioned these to them yet, but will do very soon.
Absolutely disgusting and I really feel for you, your poor Mum and family.
When people cover these things up, lie and get away with it, it makes my blood boil.
With you every step of the way, not that there is much I can do, but just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and hope the truth will out!
Could your GP get involved? Even a letter from them regarding the weight may help x

Kale-and-mash

Nov 4, 2017
How awful for you, her and other residents! I sincerely hope social services can be convinced of the truth - for everyone's sakes.
It must be infuriating to have to battle on get your voice heard. It sounds like you have some good evidence to present to the necessary authorities to prove your points.
Kale-and-mash

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Been doing more detective work and Mum weighed the same 8.10 when she left the first hospital in mid September as when the GP weighed her in June. She then went to a respite hospital for 8 weeks and GAINED there and was 9st 5 when she was admitted to her current temporary placement. This is down to her being well fed, well cared for and not being stressed.

I can stand a lot but I can't stand being made out to be Stupid! How easy is it for them to write down any figure they want? Who ever challenges these weights? I can't think of one single person in Mums old home who was carrying any extra weight actually.

I am still wondering whether to get on to CQC as well.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
It would infuriate me too. Hope QA team are not that gullible. Wondering which matters they have agreed to address. You hold good evidence & I would use it. Needs undercover carer to expose the lies. Pity they can't speak to some of the other residents families. Keep up the fight

ChristinaG

Feb 21, 2017
I too have had a very poor experience with a care home. I seem to be the only one who complains even though other relatives moan to me. They say they dare not complain as other care homes are worse. I have had to raise serious issues affecting health and the manager was fine until I felt I had to take the matter further and made a formal complaint. She then verbally attacked me, accusing me of upsetting staff. I spoke to a friend of mine and she said that is exactly what happened to her when she complained to a Home. We need to get a national user group together to speak up for the right to be able to raise issues and get them resolved without fear. They can get away with these things as they are dealing with very vulnerable people who can't say what is happening to them. I am now very worried about my mum - the manager runs away every time she sees me coming. I would start an on line petition urging the government to facilitate this but I have a feeling there would be little supoort.

ChristinaG

Feb 21, 2017
PS - I agree keep at this and I will too. Our loved ones are too precious. What is worse these people are being paid ridiculous fees in the thousands every month for a a poor quality service often putting residents health at risk.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
I too have had a very poor experience with a care home. I seem to be the only one who complains even though other relatives moan to me. They say they dare not complain as other care homes are worse. I have had to raise serious issues affecting health and the manager was fine until I felt I had to take the matter further and made a formal complaint. She then verbally attacked me, accusing me of upsetting staff. I spoke to a friend of mine and she said that is exactly what happened to her when she complained to a Home. We need to get a national user group together to speak up for the right to be able to raise issues and get them resolved without fear. They can get away with these things as they are dealing with very vulnerable people who can't say what is happening to them. I am now very worried about my mum - the manager runs away every time she sees me coming. I would start an on line petition urging the government to facilitate this but I have a feeling there would be little supoort.

Your experience sounds just like mine! I spoke to a couple of other people who had family in there and one woman said "you will soon learn not to say anything or question anything." when I asked her to explain she said they couldn't go through finding somewhere else for her Mother in Law as this place was very nearby and at least it was clean unlike many others. Another elderly man told me that his very elderly mother could not be managed at home any more but he had learned that they run a very tight ship and once a person is admitted they take over their life completely and you are made to feel like an intruder.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK

How do you know until you start one, I see lots of petitions on face book, mainly set up and started by large charities etc, but why can't one individual start one. Would Liberty take up the fight ? Often see them in the news fighting various causes upholding human rights, surely safety in a care home falls in to this area.