Refusing medication help please

beanie11

Nov 17, 2017
Hello
I am caring for my mother in law and she is suddenly refusing her medication after the first 3 tablets (she has 12 in total).
She holds them in her mouth or spits them out and gets very upset. The doctor has said she needs all tablets (I asked for a reduction in number). I am considering mashing some up in food after talking to pharmacist, but again she doesn't eat very well either.
I have no idea what to do to be honest, it is very upsetting as i know she needs the medication.
Any help and advice would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Do all tablets need to be taken once a day. If so can you determine which need to be taken early in the day, I’m thinking water tablets
Can the others be split up as to time taken. “ once a day “ may not need to be taken in the morning.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Some pills shouldn't be crushed. You will have to check with the pharmacist. You can buy a pill crushing device from the chemist and then mix the tiny pieces with something like yoghurt or another dessert. Things like capsules can sometimes be opened and the contents taken out and mixed in food. You need to take advice first.

beanie11

Nov 17, 2017
I am so stupid, I didn't think to try and spread them out throughout the whole day!
Thank you very, very much : )

beanie11

Nov 17, 2017
Some pills shouldn't be crushed. You will have to check with the pharmacist. You can buy a pill crushing device from the chemist and then mix the tiny pieces with something like yoghurt or another dessert. Things like capsules can sometimes be opened and the contents taken out and mixed in food. You need to take advice first.
Thank you, will do

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Most doctors don’t think of the actual effects of tablets. OH taught, was on diuretic, he either got up at 5am to take pill, to avoid problem in first class , or he took it when he’d got a gap in teaching. Simples!

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
You can also get some medications in liquid form. However, my mother had one antibiotic like this and really hated the taste so it can be hit and miss. One other medication my Mum took, the doctor said would need to be taken in great quantities in liquid form to make up the dosage so it wasn't a viable solution.

One other thing, was can you get the tablets in different dosages and perhaps take less of them in a higher dosage form, only if medically advisable, of course. Your doctor would know about this. For instance, my brother takes a tablet which only comes in a 25 mg. form so he has to take 16 of them a day! If they came in 100 mg he would only need to take 4.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I am so stupid, I didn't think to try and spread them out throughout the whole day!
Thank you very, very much : )
Be careful though, some tablets do have to be taken at certain times, e.g. morning or night. The instruction leaflet should tell you.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad is also very reluctant to take his tablets. He has 7 in total. I give him them in 2s or 3s. It's a pain because it means we can't go out as much as I'd like as timing is everything with his water pills! Still, dad doesn't seem to mind. He's in a sleeping phase at the moment.
It takes me between 30 - 45 minutes to get them all down him. I just keep nudging him every 10 mins or so while we're having a coffee.

beanie11

Nov 17, 2017
Thank y
My dad is also very reluctant to take his tablets. He has 7 in total. I give him them in 2s or 3s. It's a pain because it means we can't go out as much as I'd like as timing is everything with his water pills! Still, dad doesn't seem to mind. He's in a sleeping phase at the moment.
It takes me between 30 - 45 minutes to get them all down him. I just keep nudging him every 10 mins or so while we're having a coffee.

Thank you, I am going to stagger them tomorrow and see how we go. This is a great web site, makes me feel that i am not alone. Thank you for taking the time to answer

beanie11

Nov 17, 2017
You can also get some medications in liquid form. However, my mother had one antibiotic like this and really hated the taste so it can be hit and miss. One other medication my Mum took, the doctor said would need to be taken in great quantities in liquid form to make up the dosage so it wasn't a viable solution.

One other thing, was can you get the tablets in different dosages and perhaps take less of them in a higher dosage form, only if medically advisable, of course. Your doctor would know about this. For instance, my brother takes a tablet which only comes in a 25 mg. form so he has to take 16 of them a day! If they came in 100 mg he would only need to take 4.

Thanks for answering, very helpful

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Thank y

Thank you, I am going to stagger them tomorrow and see how we go. This is a great web site, makes me feel that i am not alone. Thank you for taking the time to answer

Oh, your not alone, there's a lot of us out here!

Bod

MaryH

Jun 16, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Not sure if it exist in the UK but here in Canada, medication can be set up in a blister pack by the pharmacist with slightly increased frequency of dispensing fees. This way you can see if pills are missed and everything is clear.

If not, consult with your doctor or pharmacist about how to schedule the pills over the day since some need to be taken with food and some are time preferred for am or night, etc... Also sometimes you have reaction and pharmacist would suggest changing times for certain medications to minimize issues.