Not sure what to do - Is it Dementia?

Dannybrown33

Nov 20, 2017
Hi I am a carer for my 93 yr old mother who 2 years ago fell and had a partial hip replacelent - she still finds it difficult to move unaided and gets about with a walker albeit quit slowly,
For the last few months she has become very withdrawn and sleeps all day in a chair and also sleeps through the night - she has lost all interest in everything including her favourite soaps on tv !!! - her eating habits have become very sparse and she only manages a coffee and a croisant in the mornings and very little throught the day. She has also been diagnosed with Congenital Heart Disease and recently had a few UTI's.
She is very strong minded and adamant that she doesnt want any doctors visiting etc - I have although made sure she had a visit last week due to her vomiting in the night,
What do you think my next plan of action should be? -

Many thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Dannybrown33 and welcome to Talking Point.
Would she agree to see the doctor if it were for a "general" check up (which would also check her for dementia, but dont tell her that)? Im assuming that when you booked an appointment last week, you just got on and did it. Quite often that is what you have to do. If you ask people with dementia if they would like something the default answer is "no" - so dont give them that option. Either ask them if they would prefer a or b (which doesnt give the option of "no") or just go ahead and do it.

Whether you can get an appointment or not, I would go to the GP (or write to him) explaining all your concerns so that it is on her records

Dannybrown33

Nov 20, 2017
Hello @Dannybrown33 and welcome to Talking Point.
Would she agree to see the doctor if it were for a "general" check up (which would also check her for dementia, but dont tell her that)? Im assuming that when you booked an appointment last week, you just got on and did it. Quite often that is what you have to do. If you ask people with dementia if they would like something the default answer is "no" - so dont give them that option. Either ask them if they would prefer a or b (which doesnt give the option of "no") or just go ahead and do it.

Whether you can get an appointment or not, I would go to the GP (or write to him) explaining all your concerns so that it is on her records

Hi canary thanks for the reply - I just had the doctor visit as she cannot get to the surgery - they have seen her for various oither small complaints but have never offered a check for dementia - I will voice my concerns to them asap

Thanks

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
It's hard to say, but I can understand your worry

UTIs can be hard on older people even without dementia, and if there is a cardiac problem also, this may be making her feel unwell in general. It's hard to say. Even if she's not interested in seeing the doctor I would say that a thorough medical check is in order, including reviewing her medications. The UTIs can be hard to clear and an infection can certainly make someone feel rundown and listless, as can some cardiac conditions. Hard to say. Best to get it all checked out, so you know.

Best wishes.

Dannybrown33

Nov 20, 2017
It's hard to say, but I can understand your worry

UTIs can be hard on older people even without dementia, and if there is a cardiac problem also, this may be making her feel unwell in general. It's hard to say. Even if she's not interested in seeing the doctor I would say that a thorough medical check is in order, including reviewing her medications. The UTIs can be hard to clear and an infection can certainly make someone feel rundown and listless, as can some cardiac conditions. Hard to say. Best to get it all checked out, so you know.

Best wishes.

Thanks for your reply Amy - have just phoned the docs to make an appointment

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
@Dannybrown33, you are most welcome. I'm sorry I can't offer better advice. Hope you get some information from the doctor.

And if no one has said, please let me extend a warm welcome to Talking Point, although I'm sorry you needed to find your way here. Best wishes.

Dannybrown33

Nov 20, 2017
@Dannybrown33, you are most welcome. I'm sorry I can't offer better advice. Hope you get some information from the doctor.

And if no one has said, please let me extend a warm welcome to Talking Point, although I'm sorry you needed to find your way here. Best wishes.
Thanks Amy nice to have people who share the same issues though - DB

MaryH

Jun 16, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Hello @Dannybrown33 and welcome to TP.

Mom has Cardiac heart failure from a heart attack 4.5 years ago and her injection fraction or heart function was at 50% and gradually increase to 65% over the last few years. There were less oxygen to her brain and she was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia this summer.

UTI and other infections can cause delirium or lay people low but dehydration from heart medication could cause issues too. Have your mom have any medication changes recently?

Dad's geriatrician said dementia rate is 2% at 65 and it doubles every 5 years so at 90 it is 64% and if you have issues such as diabetes high blood pressure, high cholestrol, atrial fibulation, etc, it can double the risk. But I had met some 95 years old who are still in good shape mentally but not so much physically.

If you get your GP appointment, outline the issues and try to get them to check both physical issues and maybe a quick memory test?