Receiving state pension while in a care home

oliviajuliette

Jul 16, 2014
Hello everyone, I'd like some help please, my husband in now living in a care home after being cared for in a Mental Health hospital on Section 3. His medication has worked and has been allowed back into the care home. Will my husband still receive his state pension? thanks in advance

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes. If he is self-funding, he can keep it, if he's funded by Social Services he will have to pay most of it to them to offset costs.

oliviajuliette

Jul 16, 2014
Yes. If he is self-funding, he can keep it, if he's funded by Social Services he will have to pay most of it to them to offset costs.

My husbands care is being paid for as he was admitted to hospital under Section 2 and then Section 3

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
then as Beate says, there's no reason that payment of your husband's state pension should be altered/affected at all

oliviajuliette

Jul 16, 2014
My husbands care is being paid for as he was admitted to hospital under Section 2 and then Section 3[/QUOT
If your husband is entitled to a state pension does he still receive it, if you don't mind me asking, as I have to let the pension department know my husband is now in care and I'm unsure of the entitlement

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If as you say he went into/back into the care home after a section 3 then the care should be funded by the LA under section117 in which case he keeps his pension. If he is section 117 funded then his pension can be used to pay a top up as section 117 allows for first party top ups.
K

oliviajuliette

Jul 16, 2014
No I shouldn't think so, if nothing changes.
No I shouldn't think so, if nothing changes.

Thank you
If as you say he went into/back into the care home after a section 3 then the care should be funded by the LA under section117 in which case he keeps his pension. If he is section 117 funded then his pension can be used to pay a top up as section 117 allows for first party top ups.
K

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No. They will keep paying the pension, and if you are required to use it for payment, then whoever deals with it will get in touch. They will not get it paid directly as far as I know.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
As Beate says the pension still gets paid to the person concerned/POA/Deputy not to the home.
The s117 system is that the LA takes out the contract with the care home and the LA bills you for the top up (if there is one). You should not sign any contract with the home or pay them any money other than for things that aren't covered like hair dressing, chiropody, trips out and the like.
People under a s117 keep their pension you only need to tell the DWP if they get other benefits like PIP, DLA, mobility allowance and others all of which stop after a month from the date they were sectioned as does carers allowance if you get it.
K

allchange

Nov 29, 2015
Where the person is under state retirement age when they get PIP then the mobility element can continue after admittance to a care home under S117, so long as the home does not provide nursing or medical care.