Annoying habits

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
My husband has developed an obsession about turning off electrical appliances at the sockets on the walls. I think I have turned the kettle on and walk away only to come back later to find it turned off. He turned the electric blanket off but turned the bedside clock off by mistake which then needed resetting. He kept turning the dishwasher off before it had finished. I put a yellow sticker over the socket saying "please do not turn off". Unbelievable, he moved the sticker to get to the socket and turned it off!!! I know this is a minor thing in the grand scheme of things and I just have to remember to check the sockets when turning on an appliance, but a rather annoying one. I am sure many of you have experienced a lot worse habits than this. It is still early days or me and I have to remember to keep patient. Not always easy though!!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I would often find plugs switched off when half way through, kettle, dishwasher, washing machine and clock and yes it was very irritating. able to solve some of these, replaced my clock with a battery one and I stopped using the dishwasher, started washing everything by hand- this one a bit of a pain, fed up checking that everything was on, the pair of us were wandering around the house aimlessly switching things on and off!!!!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I don't know whether this would deter your OH but you can buy online socket box covers that clip over the complete plug and switch and can lock bit expensive at around £13 but you may only need a few for the most important sockets

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
My husband has developed an obsession about turning off electrical appliances at the sockets on the walls. I think I have turned the kettle on and walk away only to come back later to find it turned off. He turned the electric blanket off but turned the bedside clock off by mistake which then needed resetting. He kept turning the dishwasher off before it had finished. I put a yellow sticker over the socket saying "please do not turn off". Unbelievable, he moved the sticker to get to the socket and turned it off!!! I know this is a minor thing in the grand scheme of things and I just have to remember to check the sockets when turning on an appliance, but a rather annoying one. I am sure many of you have experienced a lot worse habits than this. It is still early days or me and I have to remember to keep patient. Not always easy though!!
I've just read this out to my husband Linda as we have the same thing with my Mum who has moderately severe Alzheimer's and has had it for at least five years if not longer. When my Dad was alive, he died August this year, he always had bits of tape over switches and now we are having to deal with this too. It is sooooo annoying and as you say a minor inconvenience but even so very annoying. I am a bit OCD so even Mum moving things around or dropping pieces of tissue on the floor and the like, drive me up the wall!
One day I noticed that a lamp wasn't working and went to change the bulb but it turned out hat Mum had flicked the switch that powered it and a few other things

longlostfan

Aug 14, 2016
Ah that’s exactly what my husband does - tho not always, and just when I get lulled into a sense of false security that he might have given up on it, lo and behold the cooker’s switched off, the tv and telephone etc - luckily he’s missed the freezer so far. I too have stuck post it notes everywhere, which sometimes works. I also get impatient so you’re not alone there. I also find the tv remote in the most unusual places and don’t even start me on keys, I’ve had to hide those. Otherwise I have to spend ages searching for them. In the general scheme of things lots of people on here are experiencing far worse stuff as you say.... but it is annoying!

yak55

Jun 15, 2015
I don't know whether this would deter your OH but you can buy online socket box covers that clip over the complete plug and switch and can lock bit expensive at around £13 but you may only need a few for the most important sockets
That's an idea, thanks

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Yep dad switches TV of at the plug and then of course, TV's not working and 'I never switched it off' Hmm

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
Oh dear. Looks like things going to get very challenging. So far the most annoying thing is the tv. Unfortunately we bought a smart tv about 18 months ago and even though our previous tv was connected to the hard drive and we had to turn on using both remotes, he cannot get his head around this one which again needs two remotes to turn on. Every morning I hear the same words "the tv is not working". I have tried all the usual things, labelling the remotes, a step by step guide, getting annoyed but as we all know nothing works. Am considering unplugging the hard drive and just using the tv only so there will be only one remote to contend with, but that means I will not be able to record anything and am sure he will find another problem with it at some time. Am starting to dread buying anything new.

Mumsmum

Oct 29, 2012
Scotland
My mum too, it's the thing we have to go round too most often, "things not working" and it's never her who has switched things off. Worst was the freezer, but central heating and phone is also inconvenient. Lamps switched off then have bulbs removed and replacement bulbs bought.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Mum kept turning the door bell off, I realised that she was checking the plugs and if she could see the red mark where the plug switch was turned on she switched it off. I used some white insulated tape over the red on the switch and also stuck the switch down with the tape, this seems to have solved the problem for now.

gotanybiscuits?

Jan 8, 2017
the beautiful south
Snap!
All of the above here too.

Some days Dad will use the 'proper' switch, & some days he will switch the socket.
Guaranteed to be the opposite of whichever I choose :confused:

Have had several unnecessary "emergencies" with the heating...........

Anybody else experiencing the constant swapping around of light bulbs?
(luckily we've got half a room full of spares :rolleyes:)

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Not quite the same problem but carers kept turning off my electric cooker, so the clock needed resetting and I would turn the oven on to heat up only to find it was still cold when I came to put the dinner in. I have resorted to rather inelegant black tape across the switch.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Mum kept turning the door bell off, I realised that she was checking the plugs and if she could see the red mark where the plug switch was turned on she switched it off. I used some white insulated tape over the red on the switch and also stuck the switch down with the tape, this seems to have solved the problem for now.

Ha ha yes. white tape over red bits, black tape over wifi button on laptop and hide wifi router under the cupboard so dad can't see the little flashing lights. We are a clever bunch on here.

Hopeful123

Oct 24, 2015
West yorks
Hi Linda G and everybody, joining in here with you. Same problems with my other half, plugs forever being turned off, curtains and blinds being closed much too soon. I use white tape on plugs, only works some times. He is forever lining things up too, seems that household rubber gloves must be uniformly straight, he walks behind me and when walking round shops he's forever picking up the clothes that have fallen off hangers, and woe betide any bread rolls that aren't neat and tidy. Just thought, I could leave him in Primark, while I shopped, he'd be kept busy for hours Still, at the end of the day, it really is something and nothing (except when it's one of those really fed-up days

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Took dad shopping today and before we went we checked his fridge and made the list. He had a two pint bottle of milk nearly full so we did not buy any more milk.

When we came back I made us a coffee and he has topped up his milk with water. Looks like milk until you pour it into the cup but it's not. It's a little bit of milk with about a pint of water added so now he has no milk.

I poured some into a cup to taste it. It's white water.

Another quick trip to the shop (on my own this time for the sake of speed)

He has done this before and admitted it but it wasn't him this time.

Same with his indoor plants, they are always filled to the brim with water but he only waters them when they need it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallySunnyside