Finding Joy - theatre play and workshop for care homes

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
I wanted to post about this show I saw last night, which was absolutely amazing.

https://www.vamostheatre.co.uk/shows/show/finding-joy

It is called Finding Joy, and it is about a lady who has dementia and the relationship she has with her daughter and primarily her grandson, who is a carer for her. It is all acted using masks, so no words, but the actors manage to convey everything they need to. It is hilarious, poignant and thoughtful in equal measure. There are scenes showing Joy growing up and how her memories confuse her in the present day, and scenes in a hospital and at Joy's home. I laughed and cried all the way through it, and I don't often cry at the theatre. The cast were amazing and especially welcoming to carers and people with dementia, as the lady who plays Joy was a carer for her mum.

They can do an interactive workshop for people with dementia called Sharing Joy, based on the play: The show has been created for people living with dementia, carers (whether in the home or Care Home), and families. Sharing Joy can be performed at venues, care homes, GP surgeries, dementia cafes or wherever they will fit.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
That sounds wonderful Soobee, I had a look through the dementia friendly visual story and it looks very good. Unfortunately, there's nothing scheduled near me yet, but maybe one day!

I am glad it was such a great evening out for you :)