I am really struggling to clean my Gran's home, what can i do?

rjames

Nov 15, 2017
Hello all,

My gran suffers with dementia and she currently receives great help from the local authority and carers.

She still lives at home and is reluctant to move to 24hr assisted care. I try to do as much cleaning as I can for her but struggle to stay on top of it and feel guilty as it gets in quite a mess sometimes.

I am trying to find out whether there are any scheme's that will help with my grans cleaning requirements.

Thank you so much

Last edited by a moderator:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
cleaning ......

Pick your battles

Clean Toilet, kitchen regularly keep the hygiene levels high

sheets once a week unless they actually need doing more often

Duster and vacuum once a month or two... dust is there to protect furniture and dusting/vacuum too often just wears furniture and carpets out :)

Contact your local social services for more support. You may need to shout loud and become a nag before the listen

Tell gran that person visiting to do cleaning is there as they need a job. Work experience, what ever white lie you feel gran will accept so she allows the person to help her. White lies/love lies are what may keep the emotions “happy” for your gran. Keep emotions happy as that’s what is remembered. Emotions.

Bad emotions cause stress, bad situations but dealt with good emotions, the bad situation isn’t always remembered if that makes sense

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Contact your local Age Concern as they can recommend cleaners who have experience with people with dementia. They have also been vetted so you know they are trustworthy.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
I can vouch personally for Age Concern cleaners because, having recently had a heart attack, I have a cleaner from Age Concern for 2 hours a week for 8 weeks and she's wonderful. The initial 8 weeks are F.O.C because I was referred by the local Red Cross but thereafter it will cost me £13.00 per hour.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Firstly you are doing an amazingly caring job looking out for your Gran. As has been said only worry about the hygiene aspect of keeping clean toilet..kitchen and surfaces...changing sheets etc. If your Gran is mobile and not at risk of falls if she has clutter and it does not
present a risk in causing a trip hazard,
don't worry about it. Dust only gets to a certain level then stops so don't worry about that either at the moment. You are going to have to tell love lies probably to your Gran to try to get her to accept a cleaner but try not to get too stressed about the situation. No doubt your Gran through her dementia eyes doesn't see that there is a problem. I would think although don't have experience of this that a cleaner would not be paid for by the local authority so your Gran would have to fund. Perhaps she may qualify for lower attendance allowance depending how much practical help for her needs you are providing...that may help costs if she is eligible