Care/Nursing Homes & Dementia

Louise

Dec 19, 2004
PEMBROKESHIRE
Hi everyone!!!
For anyone who can remember me, i joined in december 2004, and was in a terrible state having just lost my dear mum in the september. It has now been 10 months and i must say how time can be a healer, and how experiences in your life can change so many things.
I mentioned a while back that i was in the process of developing a training company, well, it is now up and running. I no longer have the time to do any health care work, though the training is mostly aimed at the care sector.
Well, about two weeks ago myself and my work partner delivered our first Alzheimers/Dementia Induction workshop in a local Nursing home(E.M.I. unit), it went extremely well and we seem to be having quite a lot of interest in this course from others.
The whole aim of the course is to give the carers a better understanding of the different causes of Dementia, a person centred approach to the care they give and an understanding of challenging behaviour.
I have to say that everyone who attended went away having learn't quite a bit!!!
Quite a few on the course had been caring in this particular field for many years, yet, still they had never been on any form of training of this nature!!! Quite scary really, don't you think?????????
It took us many weeks of research,gathering information and setting it out in a way that new carers and experienced would understand it!!!! It worked.
I know that you have to be quite a special person to work, and be happy in your work, looking after people with Dementia, it takes a lot of patience and gentleness.
I also know that a lot of staff could do with a little bit more information and support, about looking after people with Dementia, I have worked in this area myself and got very upset with some peoples approach. Unfortunately i wasn't in a position to change this, but now i am.!!
I have more plans for the future, and one day we will be presenting a workshop day for Families and relatives,i beleive this would be well needed.
Hoping we can help the carers who are helping those who are the sufferers of Dementia, and try to improve the quality of care that they receive.
My mum was in a nursing home for 5 1/2 years, it was a very good one,as a family on the outside, feeling all the guilt etc... we were quite fortunate.
ANY WAY THAT'S MY BIT OF NEWS FOR NOW!!!!
Lots a love
Louise xxxxxx

Louise

Dec 19, 2004
PEMBROKESHIRE
Hi Nada,
Yes i have been in touch with the care team, and we have actually purchased the yesterday, today, tomorrow course from them. It was very helpfull, but a bit long a course that not very many private nursing homes will fund the cost of. Hence, why we put our own more condenced course together.
Thanks for your advice
kind regards
Louise

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan