A little bit of calm ...

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Thanks to those who have been asking ...... I am delighted to report that mum (Tender Face) is very quickly settled into her new Nursing Home .... albeit she seems to have no concept of why she is there ...... and 'if only my throat would get better, there would be nothing wrong with me'!:eek:

Mum even shooed me away at one visit because she was having a lovely conversation with Mary - Mary being deaf and mum unable to speak more than a whisper! But somehow a friendship has blossomed! :) The whole atmosphere in her 'unit' is one of up-beat, impromptu cameraderie, aided by fabulous nursing staff who burst into song at medication time ... or any other time for that matter!

Mum is still losing weight (although her palliative care plan means she is no longer required to suffer the indignity of being hoisted onto scales to determine just how much) and dangerously close to organ failure at any time .....

There have been odd heart-wrenching moments when she hasn't recognised me immediately and I wonder the sharp decline in her dementia might beat the cancer after all ...... (until I do a quick reality check) .... other days she is lucid and cheeky and spirited as anything!

Her diet is generally a few spoons of pureed food ..... (unless it's trifle, custards and ice cream ;)) and liquids - even her beloved cups of tea - now have to be thickened to enable her to swallow .... we have discovered the consistency of Baileys or Advocaat fits the bill quite nicely!!!!!!! :D

Against the saddest of times, I am somehow at peace - after the torment of the last few months and the treachery of her care at the first NH and then the hospital - my own sadness at not being able to keep her at home - but finally being realistic that with her overall nursing needs that was an impossible dream ...........

Thanks to the hospice, primarily, I have learnt much about 'quality of life' these last few weeks when I had lost all hope of ever providing anything more for mum - and I believe mum is achieving it - with the highest standards of nursing care from the home and from the Outreach Palliative Care Team who are finally there for us both ....

Me - I've got a great big gaping hole already ....... but mum is enjoying what she deserves, so the abyss isn't quite so deep or dark as it felt a few weeks ago ......

Thank you all for your concern and support, Karen, x

Last edited:

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Dear Karen

I just wanted to say thank you for your post. Another post that has touched my heart. Sounds like you have found your mum a precious haven at this time in her life.

Love to you

Helen

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Dear Karen
So good to hear from you and that you are happy with care your mum is getting.
Keeping you in our thoughts.
Much love Roseann

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Dear Karen,

Thank you for letting us know how you and your mum are getting on. As you say things do sound calmer for both you and your mum.

Mum even shooed me away at one visit because she was having a lovely conversation with Mary

It does seem that your mum is still fiesty and has a quality of life. I hope that is a comfort to you.

Take care,

jude1950

Mar 23, 2006
Lincolnshire
Dear karen,

Thankyou for the update on your mum I am pleased she is at last getting the quality of care you have fought to get her.

love Judith

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Karen,

It's such a credit to you the way you have fought for your mum....it must be such a welcomed relief knowing that she is now receiving excellent care plus the support is there also for you.

Tender Face said:
Me - I've got a great big gaping hole already .......

Words alone can't fill in this hole but draw comfort knowing other's understand and care.

"Time heals what reason cannot"

Caring Thoughts, Love Taffy.

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Love the calm times...great to hear the home is so good.
I'd love to see the singing nursing staff.

Best wishes,

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Hi Karen

sorry but I hadn't called in to TP for sometime so have missed hearing how you were getting on. Sounds as though you have been having a battle and a half along the way. Good to know that you and your Mum have a little light in the darkness at the moment. It's good to have little gems of memories such as the "deaf" conversation to hold onto and smile about. Sounds like the NH is one of the best - all down to the staff I'm sure.

Take care
Kriss