Maybe this is it.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Mum is still hanging on, now into her 10th day without fluids. Having some issues with GP/District Nurses re pain control, there will be a complaint going in afterwards but that it not much help at the moment.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Oh, you poor loves. When I saw you had posted, I thought your lovely mum was at peace. Bless your heart, you must be so tired. When my husband died, it reminded me of giving birth...really hard work, and nothing anyone can really do for you, except be there, loving you. And that is what you are doing for your mum. And we, even though we don’t know you...are surrounding you with loving thoughts.

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
My thoughts are with you too slugstar. I don’t know how we cope with this waiting process, but we do don’t we. Try and take sometime for yourself which I know is so hard as you just want to be with them 24 hours a day at this time. We send lots of hugs to you. Xxx

Glofaxi

Nov 5, 2017
East Yorkshire
We had a call from Mum's CH this morning to say that she is very poorly and perhaps we would like to visit. This is from the senior we spoke to when we were there yesterday and who knows that we usually go in next on Friday, so she clearly thought it was bad enough for us to go today!

Mum is very quiet, taking sips of fluids only and has a rattly cough. Although very withdrawn, she did manage a glimmer of a smile when she saw us.

This District Nurse discharged Mum from her care yesterday as the sores on her legs had healed (Mum scrapes her shins with the heel of her other foot). She was called back today as Mum now has a nasty area on an ankle, the DN couldn't believe the difference between Mum's condition yesterday and today!

The GP also looked in on Mum yesterday as he was seeing someone else in the CH. He said there was nothing new and to keep Mum as comfortable and happy as possible for as long as it takes. He was phoned this morning and has prescribed antibiotic syrup for the infection.

We chatted to the staff and discussed end of life drugs etc. I said that I want Mum to be given everything possible to keep her comfortable, including oramorph is needed - I have no fear of this drug, I take it myself anyway! Nothing to prolong life and certainly no hospital unless something arises that the CH cannot manage.

OH and I stayed for a couple of hours but have come home again. I don't think anything is going to happen today and my physical resources are limited. I have asked the CH to ring me again at any time of the day or night if they think I should be there. Otherwise we will go back tomorrow.

I know it sounds hard, but I also know that you guys will understand, I really hope this is the end, for everyone's sake :(

Glofaxi

Nov 5, 2017
East Yorkshire
Slugsta - sending hugs over the ether. I hope whatever happens that your mum knows very little about it and is pain free. That’s what all of us would wish for at the end I guess.
I feel bad because a bit of me would like our situation to be coming to the end rather than have to cope with what more is coming. I dread it.
Hope you are ok and there’s someone there with you to lean on.
Best wishes.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
I feel bad because a bit of me would like our situation to be coming to the end rather than have to cope with what more is coming. I dread it.
Small consolation @Glofaxi , but I well remember the times when someone else posted their LO's journey had come to an end and I was almost slightly jealous that their journey was over, whereas ours stretched into seeming unendlessness.

Last edited:

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
Thinking of you too. I know just how you feel. This awful journey seems endless and I, too wish my lovely mums struggle would now end peacefully for her. Lots of hugs to you both xxx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I can't imagine how hard this is for you, Slugsta, you must be so exhausted, both emotionally and physically - I'm sending lots of {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} and hoping that all is peaceful, calm and pain free for your Mum xxxxx