Incontinence pads fill my mum's wardrobe in care home - is this right?

Juliasdementiablog

Oct 23, 2017
Brighton
This is a bit of a weird grumble, but I wonder if anybody has a similar issue. My mother's wardrobe in her care home, is filled with incontinence pads. We have been told the pads are only delivered once every 10 weeks and we have no choice but for them to be stocked in her limited wardrobe space. I have found all her shoes out of sight on top of the pads. There is is no shelf space left, and a third of the hanging space is taken up with these pads. They can't put them on top of the cupboard as that is a hazard for staff! I was told by the manager on her floor that she doesn't use the pads so I asked for them to be taken away or given to someone else. They didn't go, so I removed them, and then was told I had to bring them back, and that she does use them. I can't understand why they don't have storage space for this type of thing, and insist on her having to keep them in her limited wardrobe space. Don't care homes have to make provision for storing this type of thing?

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
This is a bit of a weird grumble, but I wonder if anybody has a similar issue. My mother's wardrobe in her care home, is filled with incontinence pads. We have been told the pads are only delivered once every 10 weeks and we have no choice but for them to be stocked in her limited wardrobe space. I have found all her shoes out of sight on top of the pads. There is is no shelf space left, and a third of the hanging space is taken up with these pads. They can't put them on top of the cupboard as that is a hazard for staff! I was told by the manager on her floor that she doesn't use the pads so I asked for them to be taken away or given to someone else. They didn't go, so I removed them, and then was told I had to bring them back, and that she does use them. I can't understand why they don't have storage space for this type of thing, and insist on her having to keep them in her limited wardrobe space. Don't care homes have to make provision for storing this type of thing?

I don't think that's good enough! They must have a room to store supplies in which they can label people's stuff.

These homes always say residents should treat the home as their own but who would fill their wardrobe completely with bags of pads?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't know - I think it's much easier if staff just have to walk to the wardrobe to grab a pad. I brought his own supply in that he had left from the NHS delivery until they get his supply sorted, and I've put the boxes at the bottom of the wardrobe, and some on the top shelf. Works for me, and the hanging space is not affected. All the other clothes are in drawers anyway.

Dearie Me

Feb 2, 2012
Scotland
Funnily enough just become aware of this as well, but in better way. Mum had around three packs in the bottom of her wardrobe, which seemed fair enough - day and night pads. However she has just moved into a nursing home, and before we left the staff reminded me that I would have to take all the rest of her pads. I was pretty stunned to find another four full boxes waiting for me! I only just managed to squeeze them into my car.....However both homes clearly have storage for the named boxes so it wasn’t a problem. Interested to hear other people’s experience.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
When dad was in his NH he used pull ups...from what I could see one pack was kept in the bottom of his wardrobe and then when that got low another pack would be put in readiness. Tbh I thought it was sensible...easy and quick access to them when it was quite tricky to catch dad at the right time or persuade him to have personal care . If they had to go somewhere else to get a pull up when he needed changing it would make a longer process than was necessary and chances are dad would have legged it along the corridor. The rest of dad's monthly supply were kept in a purpose cupboard with other residents supply.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I guess this depends on how big the care home is and how many of their residents need incontinence supplies.

The NHS does indeed deliver 3 months supply at a time (in this area) and it would need a very large storage space to put that amount by for multiple residents. If they were all in one place it would also be very easy for staff to 'borrow' supplies from one resident is someone else was running short. I know this is still possible with supplies kept in the resident's room, but it would be a little harder.

SnowWhite says 'who would fill their wardrobe with bags of pads?'. This is exactly what my mother had to do when 3 months supply were delivered to her small flat!

Mum's current home seem to keep as much as possible in the resident's room, I don't actually know where the rest are.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Oh man, a three months' supply would have been lovely - we always got six months in one go and I had to find space in OH's wardrobe for five big boxes! :eek:

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
When dad was in his NH he used pull ups...from what I could see one pack was kept in the bottom of his wardrobe and then when that got low another pack would be put in readiness. Tbh I thought it was sensible...easy and quick access to them when it was quite tricky to catch dad at the right time or persuade him to have personal care . If they had to go somewhere else to get a pull up when he needed changing it would make a longer process than was necessary and chances are dad would have legged it along the corridor. The rest of dad's monthly supply were kept in a purpose cupboard with other residents supply.

That seems the most logical conclusion.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
I guess this depends on how big the care home is and how many of their residents need incontinence supplies.

The NHS does indeed deliver 3 months supply at a time (in this area) and it would need a very large storage space to put that amount by for multiple residents. If they were all in one place it would also be very easy for staff to 'borrow' supplies from one resident is someone else was running short. I know this is still possible with supplies kept in the resident's room, but it would be a little harder.

SnowWhite says 'who would fill their wardrobe with bags of pads?'. This is exactly what my mother had to do when 3 months supply were delivered to her small flat!

Mum's current home seem to keep as much as possible in the resident's room, I don't actually know where the rest are.

my mum has a stoma And her bags and wipes and blue bags are all delivered in bulk. She stored them in a tidy pile in the corner of her bedroom not in her wardrobe as that was full of clothes.

Juliasdementiablog

Oct 23, 2017
Brighton
Thanks SnowWhite, Slugsta love.dad.but.., and Dearie Me

SnowWhite yes I agree. Beate oh wow how did you fit in 6 months supply. I don't want to be greateful for just 10 weeks supply. I don't object to them using the wardrobe, it is just that it is taking up mum's minimal space so she has hardly any space for her clothes and shoes. If they are trying to help mum maintain independence she needs to find her shoes easily. Also, the manager originally told me mum didn't use the pads and I know it is ad hoc at best when they get used. She is continent, so I have been taking her small pads from the supermarket that are easier for her to use. I will have another chat with them to try to get to the bottom of her actual use, or whether she is stocking pads for other people.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hi
In mums ch there are pads for about a week in the wardrobe-it's a very small wardrobe so we bought underbed canvas storage drawers . We use these for out of season clothes,or the items she has decided arent hers or taken a dislike to.we have also tried to keep the bare minimum of 'stuff' in her room.
When she is agitated she tries to 'pack' to go home,do the less there is to sort the better.
There are small storage rooms or cupboards on each floor of the home where additional pads/bedding/towels etc are kept for quick access.
The housekeeping staff regularly re stock these, and mums pads are clearly marked with her name and room number on them
Ros

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa