Wheelchair for dad.

Nettynoo

Oct 5, 2017
Hi, Everyone, nice sunny day today to enjoy.

Dad has his first day of help in getting up by a nhs carer, when asked if he wanted a shave he said "no my daughter is coming today to do it".hehe. Dad barely opened his eyes today and slept most of it the time i was there. Mum was reluctant to go to bingo, but i made her and it did her the world of good.

Well today Mum has asked me to get a wheelchair for dad as he cannot walk much and holds onto the furniture as he moves around the house. We all want he to get outside again. So can anyone give any advice on buying one and who from. I have had a look on Age Uk website and seen a few there.Mum doesn't drive so would need one to be light for her to move is what i am thinking. Thanks.

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
Do you have a Red Cross office nearby? They will loan (free of charge) a wheelchair for up to 3 months so your mum can see what she can manage. They also sometimes sell refurbished ones at a reasonable price.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Don't ever buy things until you have ascertained whether you could get them for free!

Get a referral to an OT - they can come to the house and check out whether there is anything else they can provide like grab rails, raised toilet seat, a shower board, a bed lever... and a wheelchair.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Your Dad may be eligible to get a wheelchair and more from OT but they will have a waiting list so if you are looking for a quick fix I would go the Red Cross route. Also charity shops quite often have them.

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Have you thought about a wheeled trolley, rather than a wheelchair? If your Dad is just a bit unsteady but can still walk, it might be better for all of you.

My mother has one, which she uses inside and outside. It folds up easily into the boot / hatchback of a car and is half the weight of a wheelchair. Ask the OT - they might lend you one for a few days to see how your Dad gets on with it. If he likes it, he would probably have to buy his own, but it gives you the option. They're cheaper than wheelchairs as well, come with a basket to put things in and you can sit on them if you're tired and want to sit down.

Hugs

Jo xx

Helly11

Apr 24, 2017
Derby
We actually found the OT referral led to the very quick supply of a whole variety of equipment, including a wheelchair - most of which Dad declines to use, of course, though the raisers on his bed, chair and toilet seat have been invaluable - so please don't rule that out as an avenue to try.

Nettynoo

Oct 5, 2017
Dad will have to have a wheelchair as his poor legs have given in. A matron from his doctors called round yesterday and said they couldn;t do anything for dad and basically his legs have gone. Mum is so fed up of staying in or having to rush homes as she hates leaving him alone. So she has asked me to buy one asap so she can get out. Have told her all the advice on hear but she is adament that i buy one and get dad back out into the world.

Again thanks everyone.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Hi Nettynoo

If you are buying one, see if the company can give you advice as your Mum will want to consider things like how heavy the chair is, does it fold away easily and whether your Dad will be in it for a long time or just for a couple of hours if he is being taken to shops etc. You may be able to get one that can be returned if not suitable.

I ordered Mum one from Complete Care. We went for lightweight as Mum can get around at home ok but slow and unsteady when out and about. She doesn't go out for very long but we didn't want Dad breaking his back pushing her in something too heavy. Also it needs to fit in the boot of a mini! We could have returned it within 14 days if not suitable.

https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/wheelchairs/lightweight-wheelchairs/

Mrs Badger

Oct 24, 2017
Dad will have to have a wheelchair as his poor legs have given in. A matron from his doctors called round yesterday and said they couldn;t do anything for dad and basically his legs have gone. Mum is so fed up of staying in or having to rush homes as she hates leaving him alone. So she has asked me to buy one asap so she can get out. Have told her all the advice on hear but she is adament that i buy one and get dad back out into the world.

Again thanks everyone.

Mrs Badger

Oct 24, 2017
I borrowed a wheel chair for mums appointment at vision express, practised putting it in boot etc, took her on park and ride all well until hit the cobbled streets and noticed two flat tyres! Arrived at appt all steamed up and flustered an assistant had a bike and offered to pump up tyres! What service

Nettynoo

Oct 5, 2017
I borrowed a wheel chair for mums appointment at vision express, practised putting it in boot etc, took her on park and ride all well until hit the cobbled streets and noticed two flat tyres! Arrived at appt all steamed up and flustered an assistant had a bike and offered to pump up tyres! What service

Aw that was very kind of them, me and my sisters will help take out dad. Also I will go out with mum on the first few times to help her get used to it. She is already planning a shopping visit ha.

Nettynoo

Oct 5, 2017
Hi Nettynoo

If you are buying one, see if the company can give you advice as your Mum will want to consider things like how heavy the chair is, does it fold away easily and whether your Dad will be in it for a long time or just for a couple of hours if he is being taken to shops etc. You may be able to get one that can be returned if not suitable.

I ordered Mum one from Complete Care. We went for lightweight as Mum can get around at home ok but slow and unsteady when out and about. She doesn't go out for very long but we didn't want Dad breaking his back pushing her in something too heavy. Also it needs to fit in the boot of a mini! We could have returned it within 14 days if not suitable.

https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/wheelchairs/lightweight-wheelchairs/

Have purchased a wheelchair and memory cushion from Ross Mobility, they have a branch locally so are on hand if any problems. Have purchased a lightweight one so fingers crossed.