LA owned care homes

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I finally got round to visiting our nearest LA owned residential/nursing home today. I have to say, I was mighty impressed! It was clean, seemed very well organised, people looked calm and well cared for, no bad smells, nice, quiet environment. Reasonable rooms, no luxury, but clean and functional. I went into the nursing side as I believe that's where mum would be allocated to, now that she is immobile. They confirmed that if she needs hoisting, then that would be the case. At times it felt like a cross between a care home and hospital, but perhaps that's how nursing homes are meant to feel? I happened upon a very elderly lady in one of the small lounge areas with her daughter/son in law. The daughter spent a long time telling me that if my mother were to go there, she is sure I would be very happy with the care, as she has been for two years. The staff were very happy to show me around and explained that they do not have a list, it is based on people's needs and subsequent assessments. They told me they "do things differently" as they are not run for profit like private homes. They also said they do not take self funding residents, which surprised me.

It all looked good. No calling around, no waiting for months on a list to pay a top up of up to £1k a week, or more even (south east).

Does anyone have a relative in an LA owned home? Can it really be this good? Have I overlooked something? I may need to consider a home soon as I'm finding it increasingly difficult to cope with mum's new and very high needs (immobile and doubly incontinent after a stroke). Maybe I have finally found a suitable back up plan?

Last edited:

HillyBilly

Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
From the way you've described it @Marnie63, it sounds great! The "positive review" from a relative is also heartening and reassuring.
Nursing homes do of course have to have all the equipment that is needed but it's usually made as unobtrusive as possible, at least, it was in Mum's.
It sounds as if you have "a good feeling" about the place x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I finally got round to visiting our nearest LA owned residential/nursing home today. I have to say, I was mighty impressed! It was clean, seemed very well organised, people looked calm and well cared for, no bad smells, nice, quiet environment. Reasonable rooms, no luxury, but clean and functional. I went into the nursing side as I believe that's where mum would be allocated to, now that she is immobile. They confirmed that if she needs hoisting, then that would be the case. At times it felt like a cross between a care home and hospital, but perhaps that's how nursing homes are meant to feel? I happened upon a very elderly lady in one of the small lounge areas with her daughter/son in law. The daughter spent a long time telling me that if my mother were to go there, she is sure I would be very happy with the care, as she has been for two years. The staff were very happy to show me around and explained that they do not have a list, it is based on people's needs and subsequent assessments. They told me they "do things differently" as they are not run for profit like private homes. They also said they do not take self funding residents, which surprised me.

It all looked good. No calling around, no waiting for months on a list to pay a top of up to £1k a week, or more even (south east).

Does anyone have a relative in an LA owned home? Can it really be this good? Have I overlooked something? I may need to consider a home soon as I'm finding it increasingly difficult to cope with mum's new and very high needs (immobile and doubly incontinent after a stroke). Maybe I have finally found a suitable back up plan?
I live in Hampshire and my husband was in an LA owned home and it was lovely. He was self-funding for some time there as were others so perhaps there has been a change in the rules in the last 3 years since he died.
My daughter and I visited 15 nursing homes in my area and, apart from one which refused to accept him after assessment, we liked it more than any other and opted for it even though my husband was self funding for some time. There was a waiting list but, knowing I liked it, when my social worker was asked if she had anyone who needed it urgently when a vacancy came up, she immediately named my husband as he has been on delayed discharge in hospital for some time.

I never regretted it. I visited daily and the staff became friends. Any complaint there might be is dealt with quickly and efficiently. So, no cafe, restaurant and such as might be found elsewhere but they would have been of little use to my husband anyway and the nursing care was fantastic.
I hope that helps.

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I live in Hampshire and my husband was in an LA owned home and it was lovely. He was self-funding for some time there as were others so perhaps there has been a change in the rules in the last 3 years since he died.
My daughter and I visited 15 nursing homes in my area and, apart from one which refused to accept him after assessment, we liked it more than any other and opted for it even though my husband was self funding for some time. There was a waiting list but, knowing I liked it, when my social worker was asked if she had anyone who needed it urgently when a vacancy came up, she immediately named my husband as he has been on delayed discharge in hospital for some time.

I never regretted it. I visited daily and the staff became friends. Any complaint there might be is dealt with quickly and efficiently. So, no cafe, restaurant and such as might be found elsewhere but they would have been of little use to my husband anyway and the nursing care was fantastic.
I hope that helps.

I have visited two LA homes in Glasgow in very different locations. Staff were excellent and they smelt clean. One was in a middle class area and quite smart in nice gardens. One was in an inner city working class area and a bit depressing but visitors I spoke with were full of praise for the care.

Compared to the private home owned by a large insurance co which stank to high heaven there was no contest.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Well, those are good stories to read, thank you. Each of the lounge areas seemed to have a kitchenette type set up and there was a member of staff in each of the lounges I noticed. It all seemed very welcoming. One area was set up to look like the bar area in a pub, and another like a cafeteria. I understand there are gardens, but it was too grotty to venture outside. Oh, and there was a hairdressing salon! The only thing that disappointed was that they don't do respite in the nursing side, but do in the residential side. I was kind of hoping they may do respite as that would be a way to try it out for mum, before committing, but there you go, you can't have everything. I did make a point of going outside of lunchtime, it was around 1115, so as not to interfere with the proceedings. I was surprised at how quiet it was.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It all sounds very positive @Marnie63 .
I have only only thing to add - find out what behaviour they would not tolerate. That will tell you whether they know how to deal with dementia. Some place advertise that they take PWDs, but as soon as there are typical dementia symptoms like problems with personal care, they dont want to know. Now is the time to find out.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
That sounds lovely Marnie! I wish there were a few LA homes around here but they've just about all closed. I think with LA and NHS establishments you get a certain standard of cleanliness, staff training and Care. I have visited 13 or 14 private care homes now and have not been impressed because the bottom line is they all want to make as much profit as they can so they cut corners.

Mum had a weeks respite in a LA home about 2 years ago and it was really good.

Go and take another look and get your loved one in there quickly if it's what you want! X