I do my best but...

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Ever the caring and thoughtful daughter (eh!) when I saw mum struggling to get out of the chair and thinking ahead to what it was doing to her wrists as she got up and her hips as she crashed down, I thought: why don't we get one of those nice chairs with motors that have a footrest that whizzes up and a back that whizzes down and then tips you out when you want to stand up?
We have a nice new chair now but why don't I think these things through?
She sits and I explain what the chair does. No, she won't keep her finger on the button to make the chair do things, so I have to do it. When an exit is required and the footrest is up, does she remember to press the button to make the footrest go down? No she doesn't. Result? She fell off the chair. Fortunately no damage done, apart from my pride.

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
We bought my Mum one last year. £900 petite size, dead easy controls which the salesman made her use several times but when it was delivered she just would NOT put the foot rest back and tried to climb out over the footrest. How ever many lessons I gave her, she just didn't get it.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@Fullticket I got my Dad to buy a motorised chair which cost about £1000 and he won’t use it in case the electricity goes off when he has the footrest up. Got an adjustable bed at the same time costing similar and he won’t use that either because it’s too high. What a waste of money. PWDs can’t cope with new ‘technology’.

Oh Knickers

Nov 19, 2016
Um, would agree that dementia of any form and 'new' technology do not mix.

A good way to get an elderly person out of a chair is to straddle their legs, get their arms round your neck, get your arms round their back, gently rock them forwards, backwards, forwards and then try and lift. It gets the 'stand up' response moving. Linked to Alexander Technique. Learnt it to help with someone years ago who had advanced ME to help her get out of chairs and sofas as she was very weak.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was given one of these chairs in his care home because he kept sliding out of a regular chair. . Because he couldn't adjust it himself, he seemed frightened in a reclining position with his feet off the floor, so instead of relaxing, his tension and anxiety increased.

The chair was abandoned when his feet and lower legs were continually hanging over the side of the foot rest.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It just shows, doesn't it, how we can work out things that would help, because we can think rationally. But once rational thinking has gone, those same helpful items can become traps.

Still, @Fullticket , at least you now have a lovely chair to relax in!!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We have the dilemma of trying to put OH's feet up, but that then puts a strain on her back. I doubt she would handle an electric tip and tilt chair either. You have to try these things Fullticket.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I've been toying with the idea of getting dad one of these chairs but did wonder if he'd be able to manage the controls...so I haven't. Maybe a spring loaded ejector seat...;)o_O:eek:

Fullticket

Apr 19, 2016
Chard, Somerset
Thank you Bunpoots: do you think if I give her a damp cloth I could propel mum out of the chair and she could give the windows a quick wipe as she flies past?? Technology wise, never mind the PWD, my OH could not make his mobile respond the other day - he had the TV remote held to his ear. Comes to us all...

Helly11

Apr 24, 2017
Derby
I've long since given up on the idea of introducing anything new in our parents' home. We bought new phones, because they couldn't always hear the old one ringing in the hall, and left handsets all over the house...which they never touch, when all they actually have to do is pick them up to receive the incoming call. We bought a 'day clock' which they can't recall is on the table in the living room, so they never look at it. And don't get me started on the fiasco of the automatic pill dispenser - which resulted in a traumatic call between me and my dad while I was at work, with me literally talking him through every step 'Tip the dispenser up, let the pill drop into your hand, put the pill in your mouth...' etc etc...that was after he and Mum had ignored the alarm multiple times already. I've realised that you need to introduce anything like this very, very early on in a person's dementia journey - but if the PWD won't admit they have a problem, how can you do that? It's a vicious circle!

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Dad's had one of these chairs for several years now and we've encountered all of the above problems along the way, misuse of the buttons, refusing to use it because his legs still worked, refusing to put his feet up and always refusing to put to back down. Finally I have a use for it! When Dad is confused and obstinately refusing to move or comply- I press the ejector seat button and he is propelled forwards towards his zimmer frame :eek: