Convenes

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hope no one minds me posting again in a different section but I asked about Convenes in Middle Stages section and no one replied so may be it is more appropriate in late stage section. Dad seems to flip flop between late stage and end stage.
Dad has been weeing in inappropriate places, leaving a trail all through the kitchen and in cupboard under stairs. He has been wearing a convene most of this week but it has come off more nights than not. I am hoping this is becasue the size is wrong. Has anyone had any experience or success using this method of continence control?
Any tips welcome please. By and large there does seem to be an improvement- less following Dad about with a mop and bucket but it is still a learning curve and would welcome anyone's thoughts. I did search on the subject but most threads seem to be very old.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hope no one minds me posting again in a different section but I asked about Convenes in Middle Stages section and no one replied so may be it is more appropriate in late stage section. Dad seems to flip flop between late stage and end stage.
Dad has been weeing in inappropriate places, leaving a trail all through the kitchen and in cupboard under stairs. He has been wearing a convene most of this week but it has come off more nights than not. I am hoping this is becasue the size is wrong. Has anyone had any experience or success using this method of continence control?
Any tips welcome please. By and large there does seem to be an improvement- less following Dad about with a mop and bucket but it is still a learning curve and would welcome anyone's thoughts. I did search on the subject but most threads seem to be very old.

Selina because you have mentioned this before I looked it up. It seems to be a condom type fixture with urine bag attached. I take it that the condom thingy is what is coming loose. Do they come in different sizes?

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Hi Marion- yes that is exactly what I'm talking about and yes they do have different sizes. D/N came in today and measured Dad- she has ordered some smaller ones. I hope they will be harder to get off/pull off/Fall off - whatever is happening to them. I don't think there seems to be a lot of knowledge about them, it seems everyone asks what they are or looks them up. I would have thought a lot of forum members may have come across them??? Maybe they just don't really work that well with dememtia? Hoping this is not the case. It fell off before bed time this evening and I had a tea time carer today and not a bedtime carer.
Don't think I would be happy attaching it myself- not really a job for a daughter.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
They were around back when I was a student nurse (40 years ago), very difficult for an eighteen year old girl to put on an elderly male. Didn’t seem very effective then, fell or were pulled of easily. Maybe the current ones are better, Even so it’s a very intimate hing to do.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I can only say that when I was a nurse many years ago these things were a bit of a joke, they never worked or they can off meaning you had to change the sheets anyway.
No doubt they have found ways to improve the product since then but they have to fit quite tightly to stay on...they teach children to put condoms on in school these days using an unpeeled banana. Imagine doing it on a peeled banana that's past its use by date, not easy.
I know hospitals still use them short term on patients in bed but on a mobile person?
I've never seen one used in a care home and I'm not surprised, they never were much good in my experience but it's always worth trying.
K

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
They tried to put a convene on OH in hospital when they wanted a urine sample. It was a disaster. When it didn't flop off by itself he pulled it off. They soon gave up!

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Thank you all- I do hope they have improved now. We are not talking that mobile, nearly all excursions from the chair/bed are to get to the commode or toilet without exception.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Yes, I also remembers the times when - as a young student nurse - I tried to put a Conveen on an uncooperative patient with an uncooperative 'member'! I think things will need to have improved a great deal for this to be a satisfactory solution :(