help with 'love lies' to get my mum into respite care...

misssunshine1

Jul 25, 2016
I am visiting a care home this week with a view to my mum going in for a few nights a month to give my dad a break.

My mum is adamant she has nothing wrong with her, she is very paranoid about being left anywhere, she is always with my dad other than when she has companionship care twice a week and the last few times she has stayed in a hotel (10 months ago) it has made her more confused and anxious.

I asked the care home manager for advice on what to tell my mum to get her to the care home and she suggested being honest and to say my dad needs a break which I feel would go down like a lead balloon. She has been a lot calmer lately and I don't want to rock the boat.

any ideas would be welcome - thank you.

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
Just a thought..... what's your Dad's opinion of this? If he knows and accepts that he needs a break, and that your mother going away from home causes such confusion and anxiety would it be easier to let HIM go away somewhere of his liking and getting an overnight carer in for your mum?

misssunshine1

Jul 25, 2016
Thank you for your reply. ...he is exhausted and I don't think he'd mind if there was an overnight carer but we d still need some lies to explain where he was and why the carer was staying over. It is another option to think about, thank you.